How well are your tactics displayed on the 3D pitch?

First of all, apologies for the fairly ambiguous title! I am trying to find something out but can't quite figure out how best to express it, which is why the search function hasn't been used!

Basically, I haven't played FM09 much since getting it last year but I am off work for the week and fancy giving it another go. I am keen to use the 3D view as I do think it should, in theory, make it a lot easier to see where your tactics are going wrong (or where they are going right!)

The only thing is that I remember people saying when the game first came out (and it was a criticism levelled at the last versions 2D view as well) that the 3D view doesn't really show you what is happening, it is just a very rough visual representation of the stats. I think to get across what I am trying to ask, I am best to use an example. Basically, people were saying that you could start a game with the passing slider all the way towards the "short passing" side of the scale and then, later on, you could move it all the way to the "long ball" side of the slider but you wouldn't actually notice any increase in the number of long balls when watching the 3D view. Equally you could ask your players to use a lot of width but wouldnt notice the ball being passed out wide any more regularly than when the slider was set to very narrow.

Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? There isnt really much point in using the 3D view if it isn't really showing me what is happening, if you know what i mean. I couldn't use it to see the opposition and think "they seem suspect down the left hand side" if asking my players to predominantly attack down our right won't actually be shown on the screen. Maybe they arent suspect down the left and it just happens to appear that way on the 3D view etc

Anyway, I'm not sure if anyone will have a clue what I'm on about but, if any of you do, I would be thankful!

In order to get a true representation and idea of how well it's represented, you need to watch full match. I dare say a majority of those people who said that you didn't notice a difference regardless of slider position, were only watching highlights and so only saw the bits when it worked, which wouldn't necessarily include a long/short ball situation.

However, i'm of the opinion that you need to see each and every player, all the time, you can't do this with 3D (you can't do it well, at least), whereas 2D lets you see the whole pitch and every single player, watch movement etc, rather than follow the play. That said, 3D gives you a better view of the passage of play, distance between plaeyrs etc is represented better than an off scale dot etc.

In order to get a true representation and idea of how well it's represented, you need to watch full match. I dare say a majority of those people who said that you didn't notice a difference regardless of slider position, were only watching highlights and so only saw the bits when it worked, which wouldn't necessarily include a long/short ball situation.

However, i'm of the opinion that you need to see each and every player, all the time, you can't do this with 3D (you can't do it well, at least), whereas 2D lets you see the whole pitch and every single player, watch movement etc, rather than follow the play. That said, 3D gives you a better view of the passage of play, distance between plaeyrs etc is represented better than an off scale dot etc.

ah cheers- since im only off for the one week i dont think i'l have the time to watch the full matches in 3d so, if the highlights won't really show me where the tactics are going right or wrong, i might just opt for the commentary and try to get a couple of seasons done! Cheers

ah cheers- since im only off for the one week i dont think i'l have the time to watch the full matches in 3d so' date=' if the highlights won't really show me where the tactics are going right or wrong, i might just opt for the commentary and try to get a couple of seasons done! Cheers[/quote']

Why dont you try watching maybe 1 or 2 matches fully? Not all of them, but sometimes if i feel the need to change my system i will watch the 1st and maybe 2nd games to see if its working or not.

Archived