F.A.O Marc Vaughan

I love the PSP version of Football manager, it is so much better than I expected after trying out the rivals before it's release! As we all know there are certain additions and changes that could be made to the game and I thought I'd say my piece too!

Obviously I know the limitations of the hardware so a full scale fm2007 clone from the PC isn't possible and I know that some of the things I'm asking for are impossible but damnit we can try!

Firstly, an idea for an unlockable.

I know that the unlockables are supposed to be realistic and this isn't realistic, but my favourite scenario from the PC version is the database where every player is on a free transfer to start the game and you have to frantically scramble to put a squad together! Surely this could be done in the database and be a viable unlockable? I know it's low in the realism stakes but in the entertainment stakes it would be very interesting!

Another idea for an unlockable feature on the game is a Dream Team mode where you choose your team at the beginning of the game, then you can handpick your dream squad of upto 36 players! Again, low on realism, but the entertainment value more than makes up for it.

Onto the actual mechanics of the game engine, my suggestions to make the game easier to play include

1. the analogue stick could be used to move from the left hand pane of the menu to the right hand side and not just to skip upwards or downwards.

2. The irritating player search engine which i thought had finally been obliterated comes back with a vengeance. The need to move down to next screen, then to the player i want to check out, then back to next screen, then to another player becomes tedious after a while. surely the analogue stick could be used to navigate through screens on this page and save time for players like me who have to scroll through a million pages to find the perfect player they want.

3. As suggested before, when searching for a player with certain attributes, the option of x/y attributes where x is how many is the minimum and y is the maximum that need to be filled should be put back in the game! It is a great factor in analysing players for me.

3. Preferred position. For players with multiple positions listed, i would like to see their preferred position, not an advanced system like on the PC version analysing the pitch but maybe if I have a player whos position is D RL it could tell me his preferred position is a right back, instead of just 'enthusiastic fullback'. This would be helpful in getting the best out of the more versatile players.

4. Obvious changes necessary in setting players values on the transfer list but this has been covered repeatedly elsewhere on the board.

5.Manager Reputation, so I can feel like I'm achieving something as a manager! I don't know where I'm ranked in the world. Am i a Graeme Souness, a Denis Smith or a Fabio Capello? Simple World Class, National, Local etc would be nice!

6. Scout reports on individual players would be nice!

7. I would love an mp3 player to be built into the game, even if I can only listen to it when the PSP is charging.

8. How about a state of the dressing room option? Some kind of setting where I can ask my assistant manager about the general morale in the dressing room and he could tell me any potential problems or players who are being underutilised, or suggesting players who should be sold?

9. Give the assistant more power! He should be able to look after my team in friendlies for me.

10. The financial side of the game needs to be looked into. I release players on free transfers for millions just to free up space and my board never seems to complain or even notice! My girlfriend accidentally free transferred my first choice goalkeeper and the board didnt bat an eyelid.

These are my thoughts for now but I'll add more as I think of them! I'd love to hear some feedback from Marc about my opinions and suggestions, and anyone else on the board! Keep playing FM Handheld it is amazing, and with our help the game can get better and we can keep ignoring our significant others/not have a social life together!

Thanks for reading my essay!

Matt

I love the PSP version of Football manager, it is so much better than I expected after trying out the rivals before it's release! As we all know there are certain additions and changes that could be made to the game and I thought I'd say my piece too!

Obviously I know the limitations of the hardware so a full scale fm2007 clone from the PC isn't possible and I know that some of the things I'm asking for are impossible but damnit we can try!

Firstly, an idea for an unlockable.

I know that the unlockables are supposed to be realistic and this isn't realistic, but my favourite scenario from the PC version is the database where every player is on a free transfer to start the game and you have to frantically scramble to put a squad together! Surely this could be done in the database and be a viable unlockable? I know it's low in the realism stakes but in the entertainment stakes it would be very interesting!

Another idea for an unlockable feature on the game is a Dream Team mode where you choose your team at the beginning of the game, then you can handpick your dream squad of upto 36 players! Again, low on realism, but the entertainment value more than makes up for it.

Onto the actual mechanics of the game engine, my suggestions to make the game easier to play include

1. the analogue stick could be used to move from the left hand pane of the menu to the right hand side and not just to skip upwards or downwards.

2. The irritating player search engine which i thought had finally been obliterated comes back with a vengeance. The need to move down to next screen, then to the player i want to check out, then back to next screen, then to another player becomes tedious after a while. surely the analogue stick could be used to navigate through screens on this page and save time for players like me who have to scroll through a million pages to find the perfect player they want.

3. As suggested before, when searching for a player with certain attributes, the option of x/y attributes where x is how many is the minimum and y is the maximum that need to be filled should be put back in the game! It is a great factor in analysing players for me.

3. Preferred position. For players with multiple positions listed, i would like to see their preferred position, not an advanced system like on the PC version analysing the pitch but maybe if I have a player whos position is D RL it could tell me his preferred position is a right back, instead of just 'enthusiastic fullback'. This would be helpful in getting the best out of the more versatile players.

4. Obvious changes necessary in setting players values on the transfer list but this has been covered repeatedly elsewhere on the board.

5.Manager Reputation, so I can feel like I'm achieving something as a manager! I don't know where I'm ranked in the world. Am i a Graeme Souness, a Denis Smith or a Fabio Capello? Simple World Class, National, Local etc would be nice!

6. Scout reports on individual players would be nice!

7. I would love an mp3 player to be built into the game, even if I can only listen to it when the PSP is charging.

8. How about a state of the dressing room option? Some kind of setting where I can ask my assistant manager about the general morale in the dressing room and he could tell me any potential problems or players who are being underutilised, or suggesting players who should be sold?

9. Give the assistant more power! He should be able to look after my team in friendlies for me.

10. The financial side of the game needs to be looked into. I release players on free transfers for millions just to free up space and my board never seems to complain or even notice! My girlfriend accidentally free transferred my first choice goalkeeper and the board didnt bat an eyelid.

These are my thoughts for now but I'll add more as I think of them! I'd love to hear some feedback from Marc about my opinions and suggestions, and anyone else on the board! Keep playing FM Handheld it is amazing, and with our help the game can get better and we can keep ignoring our significant others/not have a social life together!

Thanks for reading my essay!

Matt

obviously mate this isnt the reply you wanted, but M.V will comment hopefully

you have some very good points and im sure these will be looked into,if not allready have done

its a very good game,and its built a platform on which to expand on

My first impressions overall speaking generally was that it was a basic version, that was mearly to get them on the ladder,it was fantasticly adapted to the PSP, and everything works to a good standard, but i think theres plenty of room for addition,and i dont mean in comparision to the PC version,becasue i know thats impossible,but i still thinks theres plenty to add and room to change things,after all,its a total seperate game

but my general opinion is that the Handheld and 360 version of there latest game was well under supported, with most attention was to get the game out,with the next version in the back of there minds. the games were not rushed, not at all, but simply showed what they could do, it has provided feedback,problems,bugs, with many new suggestions off the board, so i think it can be classed as a success

this christmas i will be buying 360, and PSP version, both are the polished versions i hoped that would come out first time around,with some vital features, but i cant wait for the new versions, at last, i have a FM release to be excited for, after FM2006 was the most least excited ive been for a release in years,

i wil be making the cross over from the PC to 360,and it better be worth it, icon_smile.gif

These are the games we wanted,keep it up boys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blackmaff:

my favourite scenario from the PC version is the database where every player is on a free transfer to start the game and you have to frantically scramble to put a squad together! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking that too except like this:

You get sacked , you cant find a club , you assemble a squad of players that are free at the moment, create the name , try to find a board willing to join the club, they'll feed in the money you need to build up the squad.

Not an unlockable but a situation so that if you get sacked , you wont have to wait long for action.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. the analogue stick could be used to move from the left hand pane of the menu to the right hand side and not just to skip upwards or downwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad idea - we'll look into if this is feasible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. The irritating player search engine which i thought had finally been obliterated comes back with a vengeance. The need to move down to next screen, then to the player i want to check out, then back to next screen, then to another player becomes tedious after a while. surely the analogue stick could be used to navigate through screens on this page and save time for players like me who have to scroll through a million pages to find the perfect player they want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3. As suggested before, when searching for a player with certain attributes, the option of x/y attributes where x is how many is the minimum and y is the maximum that need to be filled should be put back in the game! It is a great factor in analysing players for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll look into this - however it might not be feasible as the PSP processor isn't the fastest and it'd increase the work overhead in the filtering by a fair bit.

[qote]3. Preferred position. For players with multiple positions listed, i would like to see their preferred position, not an advanced system like on the PC version analysing the pitch but maybe if I have a player whos position is D RL it could tell me his preferred position is a right back, instead of just 'enthusiastic fullback'. This would be helpful in getting the best out of the more versatile players.

Probably not for this next version - but I'll work out a way of doing this for the one after, ok?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. Obvious changes necessary in setting players values on the transfer list but this has been covered repeatedly elsewhere on the board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can now offer players to clubs at specific prices in the next version, I'm also looking into setting asking prices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">5.Manager Reputation, so I can feel like I'm achieving something as a manager! I don't know where I'm ranked in the world. Am i a Graeme Souness, a Denis Smith or a Fabio Capello? Simple World Class, National, Local etc would be nice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough - again makes sense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6. Scout reports on individual players would be nice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok - time permitting I'll look into it, again if not for this next version for the one after it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">7. I would love an mp3 player to be built into the game, even if I can only listen to it when the PSP is charging. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've already looked into this and its not going to happen in the short-term I'm afraid because the MP3 player itself would require too much memory for it to be feasible ... sorry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">8. How about a state of the dressing room option? Some kind of setting where I can ask my assistant manager about the general morale in the dressing room and he could tell me any potential problems or players who are being underutilised, or suggesting players who should be sold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a bad idea - one for the future though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">9. Give the assistant more power! He should be able to look after my team in friendlies for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">10. The financial side of the game needs to be looked into. I release players on free transfers for millions just to free up space and my board never seems to complain or even notice! My girlfriend accidentally free transferred my first choice goalkeeper and the board didnt bat an eyelid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've improved the financial side of things quite a bit already for version 2 ...

Thanks for your feedback Marc! It makes me so pleased to be a fan of your games when you'll take the time out to read through my suggestions and take them into account for your next game. The reason I am such a fan is because you really do listen to your fans and give us what we want! Cheers Marc keep up the good work!

Archived