dominating possesion but missing shots on goal help plz

Hello, sorry i tried using the search engine but all that came up was like 19 pages of team1 vs team2 threads :o

Im dominating possession, i think i have my tactics sorted out, 4-4-2 and i play long/short fast/slow depending on the pitch and on narrow pitch i use 4-3-3 (i think this is right) anyway .. my ass man tells me i am dominating the game but my chances on goal are terrible, i usually finish the game with 20 (sometimes 30!) shots at goal but usually lose 1-0 :(

what can i do? my forwards are very creative i have one set to run with ball and to sit back a bit while the other one is all out attack (both have average to above average creativity set) also i have my CM set to have long shots.

So what can i do to start turning domination into wins and goals?

Sorry for the long post! thanks a bunch

Where are those shots came from? Were them from long distance?

20 to 30 shots per game show that you are very attacking, just like when you are dominating the ball possession. In this situation, opponent team will tend to sit back or drop deep in order to keep the scoreline they want.

So you may try to lower your mentality for some players (optional if you find that my point below works. lol.)

Another suggestion is to set your defence line players with short passing and at least one of the MCs with rare or mixed forward run. Giving your DCs and fullbacks short passing will actually draw the opponents out to close them.

For example, when your players have the ball, your defence line players will pass around (short passing) and one of your MC is joining them (rare or mixed forward run), the opponents will start to close them down to win the ball back. Theoretically, DCs + Fullbacks + MC = 5 players. So you will at least attract 3 players to close them down.

When 3 opponents players close down your players, the other opponents players will like moving forward a little bit from time to time, now is the time to split the defence for your strikers to score.

Playing against 11 defenders is hard so attack patiently will of course lower the shots but you can make sure your team is not rushing to score. Else the result is bad finishing from your players and furthermore causes the counter attack from the opponents.

Hope this help. Good luck.

thanks i will try that, i didnt think it was good to change individual players passing from short to long etc because you cant individualy change that players tempo, only the team - which leads to incomplete passes etc. This also leads me to another question, certain players (as told to me by my Ass. manager) think the tempo of the game is wrong for them, but according to my Ass. Manager my passing is perfect. :(

anyway thanks again will try your technique

About the wrong tempo for certain players, it is just a matter of time. I think this problem appears from a newcomer, give him some time to adapt to your style and soon he will have no problem about that.

And of course the suggestion I stated above is just a part of my setting. I do not list them all as I think you would stick to your own way which I think is good since having individual tactic is more challenging than just using others'. Therefore the passing is the thing you may try to change, so maybe you can see the different of your tactic if the passing is altered.

The result? Then I would like to hear from your experiment. Lol. Good luck!

Archived