Signing players on pre-contract - problem in England

Hi all, i have a problem, and i'm not sure if it's a bug, or if it's the actual rules in real life (don't think so) or if it is a problem with the game.

I am playing a game in the English leagues, which is all going fine apart from one aspect. Come January 1st, when i'd like to offer players contracts who have only 6 months left, i can only offer contracts to foreign based players. By this i mean that any player based in England, i can't offer a contract, i can only 'make an offer' and buy him. This continues all the way to the end of their contract where they either re-sign, sign for someone else or are released.

Is this normal/an actual rule? If so it is very annoying especially for snapping up youth talent as alot comes from England.....!

Cheers

English based, afaik this only affects England btw, all other leagues operate the 6 month policy.

But Tevez playing for united in my game and i am able to offer him a contract from Jan 1st. I am Real Madrid, but im guessing the rule simply applies to English teams only and not just the league itself. Its a bit of an unfavourable rule for the english sides dot you think, with spanish clubs being able to get in there before any english team.

As a foreign club you can offer players based in England, a contract 6 months before their current deal ends. As an English club you cannot offer foreign based players or home based players a deal until 1 month before the end of their deal.

It's annoying, but it is an actual rule.

I believe there is an issue, but not the one stated. I find it strange that if offering a contract to U24s you often have to pay compensation (if the club wishes to retain them) but if the player leaves at the end of his contract you do not have to pay a fee to the selling club.

Now, IIRC IRL Swindon signed a player who was a freebie from France a few years ago, before going to court because the selling club claimed Swindon owed them money. (I'm refering to Sebastian Ruster, who probably isn't on FM!!)

So, in summary, as that is about as clear as mud, even if a player leaves a club, if he is Under 24 and been offered another contract on equal or better terms than he is currently, any club that then tries to sign him would still be expected to pay the previous club compensation.

I hadn't heard of that example, but surely it can't be right. That means a 21 year old could leave Wolves, sit at home twiddling his thumbs for 12 months, then Birmingham offer him a contract and Birmingham have to pay Wolves compensation. There must have been something else involved in the Ruster deal.

Edit:

The Ruster deal was different because they were forced to release him as, due to relegation, they had lost Professional status. If it wasn't for French football law, they could have held onto him or would have been entitled to compensation. This is a very rare case so it probably shouldn't be included in the game tbh.

FYI

Cannes argued that it should receive compensation for the training it gave Ruster as it only released him due to the rules of the French Football Federation following the club’s loss of professional status.

Archived