English managers abroard

So, we have for the start of the 2009/10 season, Wenger, O'neill, Ancelotti, Moyes, benitez, M.hughes, Sir Alex, Zola, Martinez, Mcleish and Coyle managing in the premier league.

Thats 11 non-english managers, some British but does this reflect on the qualities of english managers, or the attitudes towards them?

The best managers for the best league?

This draws me to my overall question, why are their very little english managers and players abroard? Their have been more in the past but still no-where near as many as foreign managers and players at home.

I think the most succesful manager abroard was Sir Bobby Robson

He managed

1968 Fulham

1969–1982 Ipswich Town

1982–1990 England

1990–1992 PSV

1992–1994 Sporting Lisbon

1994–1996 Porto

1996–1997 Barcelona

1998–1999 PSV

1999–2004 Newcastle

2006–2007 R.O.I (special consultant)

French and Scottish managers manage here, but I cant imagine an English manager managing in either of those countries, I can only think of the recent appointment of Tony Mowbray at Celtic as an odd one out.

Do you think this is portrayed in game? Do you find yourself put off managing a team on FM due to the national rivalry or that it just doesnt feel right?

So what are your thoughts?

Roy Hodgson probably one of out best managerial exports. He's one of the most intelligent English managers, so that's clearly why he has been able to manage all over Europe.

ff the top of my head, he has managed in Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Italy and obviously England. He has also managed internationally for U.A.E. and Finland.

His friend Bobby Houghton currently manages the Indian national football team. He has managed in a whole bunch of countries previously too.

Somebody on this forum has a really good website (I forget his username but I think he might be named after his website) - http://lesrosbifs.wordpress.com/ - on this site, he keeps track of English players and coaches abroad. Might be of interest to you.

Personally, I consider myself to be in the Hodgson mold and therefore I like to manage abroad, especially in Italy. :thup:

Regards,

C.

I agree with Millwall and Crouch (regarding Hodgson and intelligence).

Mourinho summed it up perfectly (describing Italy) - In England/Scotland the players have a greater say on what happens on the pitch, regarding the way they play, they express themselves more and matches are played at a quicker pace. That's why the teams with the more creative players do well. While in Italy, matches are much more tactical and played at a slower pace, that's why the league is more competitive (regarding matches between top and bottom teams).

Generally speaking, this is the first time I've seen rookies get top jobs in Italy - Milan and Juve. Previously, that just didn't happen. Walter Zenga, despite being an international and club player of note, had to spend several years abroad managing before he returned to Italy and Catania > Palermo. Whereas in England rookies regularly get jobs at decent clubs in the top league.

Roy hodgson, ofcourse

Its a shame really because I dont think he was widely recognised in England until he became Fulham manager, where he has done an excellent job.

thankyou for the link crouchaldino, il keep a close eye on that page. (Darius Vasell left for a turkish league club this week)

with regards to your comment millwall lion, I totally agree a lack of managerial talent and some strange english players going abroard

Owen Hargreaves always leaves for a foreign club after on season in my games.

Archived