Training: Confused?

I have recently been playing as Man Utd, and I am about to play Pompey in the Charity Shield, but I am having problems over training. I don't know If it's working.

I know it sounds stupid, but How do I know if they have actually started training?

1. I went to the main training screen and looked at the players (seniors) to see how they were getting on. I seen all the players names in the sechedule 'General' and I also checked the other 'Goalkeepers'. I noticed besides each name, if you looked along it sometimes had an arrow point slightly upwards (Yellow) and some players had one going down (red/orange), he was injured. What are these and what do they prove/mean?

2. Where can I check attribute changes? I went to attribute history after 30 days as manager, and I am wondering how I know if any players have changed attributes. And if so, is there anyway I can check without havign to trawl through all the players.

1. Those arrows show effects of training, also they show smaller impacts than attribute changes. It gives you information if player skills are improving or not, even if this change isn't big enough to change his attributes from let's say 10->11.

2. When viewing player profile, select "view" from top right corner and tag "view attribute changes". Changes are now visible in profile page.

Edit: and last, but not least. If you arrive in the club for first time, first impacts of training may take a while, I'd say 2-3 weeks before first attribute changes become visible.

How much does an average player gain in attributes over the course of a year. Of coruse young talents will gain faster, while older players will start to drop before retiring.

???

If a player doesn't have the "Hol" icon (Holiday) by his name, then he has started training.

For 2, I use the player view: player profile screen, Tactics | Attributes. From the drop-down, pick a category such as "Strength" and you see how the player has progressed for each attribute which is trained by the Strength training category.

It won't be a very useful view after just a week in charge of the club but it grows more and more so the deeper into your save-game that you get, as you can see each player's progression for the past 12 months.

I'm not sure I can say how much an "average" player gains over a year. My vice-captain is 31, and has gone four years without ever showing a single attribute change up or down. Its no problem: I like him the way he is. If one of my 17-year-olds were not showing significant improvement, I'd be very disappointed and looking to move him on even if my coaches rate his potential. For example, one of my younger players is up 7 points in 7 different attributes for the past 12 months, and I'm not thrilled with that. A better kid is up 20 points for the last 12 months, with three attributes that have gained 2 points.

That's an important bit to note - even though I have him on a specific training schedule that emphasizes certain areas, he is showing improvement across a broad spectrum of attributes, not just the places I'm training him most intensively. That's because training affects the shape of his development, not the amount of his development. Playing time, playing level, innate potential, tutoring, and Personality are the key variables in amount of development.

If a player doesn't have the "Hol" icon (Holiday) by his name, then he has started training.

For 2, I use the player view: player profile screen, Tactics | Attributes. From the drop-down, pick a category such as "Strength" and you see how the player has progressed for each attribute which is trained by the Strength training category.

It won't be a very useful view after just a week in charge of the club but it grows more and more so the deeper into your save-game that you get, as you can see each player's progression for the past 12 months.

I'm not sure I can say how much an "average" player gains over a year. My vice-captain is 31, and has gone four years without ever showing a single attribute change up or down. Its no problem: I like him the way he is. If one of my 17-year-olds were not showing significant improvement, I'd be very disappointed and looking to move him on even if my coaches rate his potential. For example, one of my younger players is up 7 points in 7 different attributes for the past 12 months, and I'm not thrilled with that. A better kid is up 20 points for the last 12 months, with three attributes that have gained 2 points.

That's an important bit to note - even though I have him on a specific training schedule that emphasizes certain areas, he is showing improvement across a broad spectrum of attributes, not just the places I'm training him most intensively. That's because training affects the shape of his development, not the amount of his development. Playing time, playing level, innate potential, tutoring, and Personality are the key variables in amount of development.

I went to the Palyer Profile and attributes and clicked on en of teh drop down attributes (strength) and all I noticed was coloured lines, with a key on the right hand side, different for each drop down you pick. Does this show the growth?

Say the lines were very steep heading upwards taht indicates lots of improvement and vice versa?

I went nto a player profie page and clicked view Attribute Changes. It now has a little minus beside each attribute number.

What happens now?

It means that the attribute hasn't changed recently. Red arrow down means drop, while green arrow up means progress. Green vertical arrow up means fast development (+2 in short time).

I went to the Palyer Profile and attributes and clicked on en of teh drop down attributes (strength) and all I noticed was coloured lines, with a key on the right hand side, different for each drop down you pick. Does this show the growth?

Say the lines were very steep heading upwards taht indicates lots of improvement and vice versa?

Yes, if you look at the left of the chart you will see numbers from 1-20 which represent the attributes of that player. If you have a line that is going up then the attribute is increasing.

Right - its a graphical display of what the attributes were over the previous 12 months. You'll never see a steep line there - most attributes will be constant from month to month, so the lines will be almost flat.

What you're most likely to see is, when a skill group is going well, maybe looking back at "Shooting" in May, I might see that my player's

Finishing improved by one point in October

Composure improved by one point in October and one point in February

Long Shots improved by one point in December

Other than those four up-ticks, those three lines would be flat.

That's pretty good improvement for that skill group - four points over three attributes ... but I need to check the other skill groups to see if this is because the player is really progressing, or if he's only improving at Shooting (or maybe even getting worse at some other items).

not to be rude but are thick

''not to be rude but are thick''

Your the one that's thick mate, that's all I'm saying.:p

Anyway, I know I sound like a noob, and that's exactly what I am. I've oly had the game for a week, and I don't have time to play that often, so just some advice would be good.:)

''not to be rude but are thick''

Your the one that's thick mate, that's all I'm saying.:p

Anyway, I know I sound like a noob, and that's exactly what I am. I've oly had the game for a week, and I don't have time to play that often, so just some advice would be good.:)

Don't worry about it. Training requires a lot of teasing out and theorising and testing to even get a basic understanding of its function, which is quite ironic because at its core it is very simple.

Have a read of my Training Guide which unfortunately is badly in need of an update but should help you down the right path.

Ultimately all that Training does is increase the amount of Ability Points distributed into certain attributes whenever Ability Points are gained, and vice versa reduces the amount of Ability Points lost from a particulat attribute whenever Ability Points are lost.

It is simple mechanic at heart but the factors involved in distributing, gaining and losing Ability Points are large, and make the process quite complex, though imo rather realistic from a functional perspective. Once you understand how training works, that's when the management begins :)

Archived