Linear transfer system

Just looking for some thoughts on the system in which we buy and sell players. In all of the old CM games, and the current crop of FM games too, the system is very linear. There isn't any deviation from:

Bid for player

Refusal (bid again)

OR; Acceptance

THEN; Discuss Terms

Terms rejected (Offer improved terms) OR; transfer dies

OR; Terms Accepted

THEN; Transfer Confirmed by both clubs

In real life the way the transfer market works is no longer this constrained. More and more often we hear of clubs being allowed to discuss terms with players before the selling club have agreed a fee with the potential buyers. For future FM's I'd rather see a checklist of actions that must be fulfilled before a transfer confirmation:

Fee Agreed

Personal Terms Agreed

Date of Transfer Agreed

Crucially, I'd like to see these criteria become available in any order and only when all three have been ticked could the transfer take place. Obviously the permission of the selling club would be required before terms could be discussed with the player.

I think this system would be more realistic, more fun and more flexible. The old system would run concurrently be default as many potential transfers would still begin with the two clubs talking money.

At the risk of turning this into a long post, I'd also like to see negotiation made a little faster. I'm sure many discussions with players / agents / clubs involve a number of offers / counter offers (as in FM) but over the course of a few hours, and not a few days. If a club or player rejects an offer, I'd like to be able to table an improved offer (where possible) immediately, during that round of negotiations.

These are just the starting points of ideas, would welcome any thoughts from the rest of the community :-)

i agree with that i often think that the system is too simple compared to real life, in real life there is also a lot more done by the people above the manager rather than just the chairman automatically accepting if the bid is high.

i agree with that i often think that the system is too simple compared to real life, in real life there is also a lot more done by the people above the manager rather than just the chairman automatically accepting if the bid is high.

Yes I agree with this too. For those clubs with a "Director of Football" or "Technical Director" it may be more realistic (although less fun) if the manager had less say over transfers / wages.

I'm sure that idea has come up many times, however, and has been dismissed by most, including SI Games.

Archived