Keeping a lead

I'm a bit of a newbie to the wonderful world of FM09 so I thought I'd pick some more experienced brains for ideas.

This might sound strange, but how do you handle the precarious situation of being ahead?I'm currently playing as Arsenal, with a fairly attacking-oriented lineup that usually commands possession. However, I'm finding a repeat pattern where I dominate the game early but then find it taken to the wire as the other team comes back. I've gone from 2-0 up to 2-2 (against a mediocre Fulham team), and almost lost a four-goal lead in one game against Liverpool.

I've tried the whole notion that if what I'm doing is working so well, I should stick with it - but I find myself scrabbling for clearances in the last 20 minutes. I've tried dropping everyone back, shorter passing, slower tempos, time wasting - the same thing seems to happen.

Any tips, ideas, strategies?

Go to the tactics forum their you will find plenty of answers

But be careful of your half time speech, when you deploy time wasting tactics etc. (don't drop everyone to defend that's an invitation for the other side to go all out attack)

I've tried the whole notion that if what I'm doing is working so well, I should stick with it - but I find myself scrabbling for clearances in the last 20 minutes. I've tried dropping everyone back, shorter passing, slower tempos, time wasting - the same thing seems to happen.

Any tips, ideas, strategies?

If you are doing well, say 2-0 up at half time, the opposition will change tactics significantly. There is also a semi-consencus that the AI gets their team fired up easier than the human user. Team talks for your team in this instance should normally be "don't get complacent" or "don't let your performance drop." A "Thrilled" or "pleased" teamtalk seems to make your players complacent. Exception, I think, would be if a tempremental player like Anelka scored both goals; in that case, the team talk would be "don't let your performance drop" while singling Anelka out for praise.

But like the other poster says, there are more details on the tactics forum.

Archived