can i get some help please?

Abs is right, whenever you load up FM and click new game a database menu should appear, asking you to pick which database you want to use. It should give you the options of 8.0.0, 8.0.1, 8.0.2 and also your edited database.

If you still have problems it might be best to try the bugs/data issues forums, perhaps someone in there will have experienced the same thing and be able to help.

Well thanks for the help. The thing is, i tried those forums and nobody there helped, they told me it was the wrong forum. But yes thats the problem i have, i dont get a drop down menu when i start the game.

By the way, i did a search of the forums, and my question has not been answered yet. It has been asked alot, but never answered. Everyone seems to get the drop down box but i dont. I extracted the database where it needed to go so that is not the problem.

I'm assuming you saved it to the right location. If you never changed the User Data Folder location it's

My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db

on XP (off the top of my head can't remember what the Vista equivalent is).

Make sure the name of the xml inside the folder containing your database has the same name as said folder. For example if you created a database and saved it to the user directory it should appear as a folder, let's say 'My Database'. When you open that folder there should be an xml file called 'My Database'.

If the xml file name does not match the folder name exactly, then the game will not pick it up as an option. Once those two match the database will appear and it's name in the drop down menu will be the same as the string in the xml:-

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> <string id="name" value="empty database folder"/> </pre>

Off topic but you might want to install the patch as it makes for a better gaming experience. Just my opinion though icon_smile.gif.

Ignore the value="empty database folder" part. The name of your database will appear exactly as it is written in the quotes part of the value identifier.

So if you create a database called 'Ghost 07' it should do the following

1. create a folder in My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2008\db called 'Ghost 07'.

2. create an xml in that folder called 'Ghost 07'.

3. create a string in that xml that looks like <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">string id="name" value="Ghost 07"</pre>.

I hope that's clear now as the 'empty database folder' part was probably confusing.

So if the folder name and xml name don't match, change one or the other so that they do.

Let us know if that is the issue and if changuing it works.

Archived