consistent performance

Consistency is a hidden attribute, so if he is abysmally low there, then, no. If that's the case, your coaches or scouts should be picking it up and mentioning it under "Weaknesses". Consistency does grow with experience, so if this is an 18-year-old who is inconsistent, I wouldn't worry about it too much - I'd just pair him with a consistent veteran so you don't get too stuck in a goal drought. ;)

Beyond that, you might look into some of the psychological tools at your disposal:

Individual team-talks, in particular, the "No Pressure" talk seems to help my young strikers; also "I have faith" may help. He may also respond well to continued use of "Pick Up Where You Left Off" when he's on a hot streak.

The Player Interaction - praise/criticise - may be a good thing to use, especially if he's more of a veteran. If he's putting in consistent 6.8s but not scoring, you might tell him his performance is "Acceptable"; if he's putting in consistent 6.5s without goals, you might tell him his performance is "Below Par". Alternately, you might go down the route of withholding comment until you get a streak of stand-out performances, then praising him highly.

You might also want to baby his Morale - if he's old enough to use as the mentor in a tutoring relationship, that tends to bump his Morale to Superb, so you can use it to give him a shot in the arm when it slips below Good.

Finally, there's the old "Give a Rest" Player Interaction. Last season, two of my strikers went on 800-hour goal droughts at the same time. Needless to say, we were struggling, nothing seemed to be working, and I couldn't win a game. Finally, I told them both I was giving them a week's rest, holding them out of two consecutive matches, and played my #3 and #4 strikers. I also used the Training | Rest For 1 Week option. Neither was happy about it, but I was hardly happy with them, so.

The first game back, one broke his drought; the second game back, so did the other.

cheers man, my striker is 24 and started to become a little more consistant the season just gone with 21 in 40 something games cheers i'll keep this in mind the nest time he goes though a bad spell

Archived