From riches to rags

I usually start off with Norwich being the team I support, and I never manage a big team to start with, but decided this time to start with Lyon, which was great fun to start with, but after a few seasons just got too boring winning everything too easily all the time, so became the first, and likely only manager to ever leave Lyon for.......Rochdale. I went from £50million to £1million in debt and no transfer funds whatsoever.

Sounds like madness right? Well actually I am having one of the most enjoyable games I have ever had, they were 15th when I took over, but after some fantastic bosman signings (seems my experience in France enabled me to sign young french players I shouldnt have been able to in League 2), I am now 3 wins away from the title, and guiding Rochdale out of the bottom tier for the 1st time in nearly 40 years.

So what do others find more enojoyable, managing a big team with loads of money, or taking a little club onto better things?

I like both, though I do favour small clubs.

With bigger, domination can become quite easy, though I tend to incorporate additional challenges, such as building a coaching staff entirely of ex-players, developing youngsters, building single nationality squads, etc... All such things can add a different dimension to the game.

I think the main reason I like managing smaller clubs though, is that I will use and search for different players each time.

I like saving clubs from disaster seasons or I start unemployed.

I started unemployed and was very excited about my future with Watford but got sacked in January.

I then took over Stuttgart in 2nd last spot and guided them to a 9th place finish and over the season many players have added me to the favourite personnel.

This season I finally got some transfer funs and sold a few unhappy players for H U G E profit, and signed some very promising players for the future.

The board only expect mid-table but I have a feeling I am going to do well this season!

Archived