a few weird annoying things about FM09 - p.s. I actually think the game is amazing.

Im not gonna whine and moan about "oo my players never score" or "this new fm is terrible" but in my considerable hours of play this is what Ive noticed and there's more that i just havent gotten to noting down. All of this stems in particular from my most recent game where Ive tried to note down the issues Ive discovered.

a) why is it impossible to offer class young players out for loan from a top team? I have a Man utd game and loaning out my young players is nearly impossible sometimes. No one would take adem ljajic and i was offering 0% wage contribution 0 fee and he's a wonderkid.

b) what is the point in being able to say in post match you thought a penalty shouldnt have been given when 1) its nearly impossible to see looking at replays whether a penalty should have been given, fully impossible in 2D and 2) about 99% end up being great decisions by the ref and you just get fined and given out to. I'm sorry but IRL there's 2-3 incorrect penalty decisions a week in the round of premiership fixtures and that's not represented in any way.

c) press conferences are the most predictable chore in the game. In particular being asked who youll get to deal with a player is so stupid. 1) you dont know if that player will start 2) you dont know where he'll play. Attacking midfield, on the wing maybe up front all require different markers...

d) no point in ever asking the board for more resources, or putting forward an ultimatum, ive tried it in a million different scenarios, it never works.

e) players being annoyed at a lack of managerial discipline, with no opportunity to fix it and just being "slt" for an entire season. Why?

f) the end of season world player awards are a joke and while its getting better is still not accurate. Plus isn't there some world player award where managers and journalists and players get a vote? Why dont we get to vote on that stuff!?!? That would be fun.

g) mike phelan currently on 15,000 a week is asking for 27000 in his new contract and I can only offer 15000 he wont sign and will probably leave. Im not sure if people know Man utd and Mike Phelan, but Im sorry, he wouldnt just leave when his contract expired, he loves UTD.

Ok may seem somewhat specific, but I think we all know what Im talking about here? Mental speedbumps in a game trying to make you feel like youre in a type of football management reality.

Im not gonna whine and moan about "oo my players never score" or "this new fm is terrible" but in my considerable hours of play this is what Ive noticed and there's more that i just havent gotten to noting down. All of this stems in particular from my most recent game where Ive tried to note down the issues Ive discovered.

a) why is it impossible to offer class young players out for loan from a top team? I have a Man utd game and loaning out my young players is nearly impossible sometimes. No one would take adem ljajic and i was offering 0% wage contribution 0 fee and he's a wonderkid.

I can't say I've noticed this as I haven't managed a 'top team' yet

b) what is the point in being able to say in post match you thought a penalty shouldnt have been given when 1) its nearly impossible to see looking at replays whether a penalty should have been given, fully impossible in 2D and 2) about 99% end up being great decisions by the ref and you just get fined and given out to. I'm sorry but IRL there's 2-3 incorrect penalty decisions a week in the round of premiership fixtures and that's not represented in any way.

I agree it is hard, but 3d is easier than 2d view, at any rate, at least for offside decisions. Tbh, though, if intentional bad decisons were implemented, more people would complain, saying these stupid mistakes IRL are whats ruining football anyway, and to promote it in the game would be stupid.

c) press conferences are the most predictable chore in the game. In particular being asked who youll get to deal with a player is so stupid. 1) you dont know if that player will start 2) you dont know where he'll play. Attacking midfield, on the wing maybe up front all require different markers...

Press conferences are very mechanical and boring, and the only reason I don't leave them to my assistant is because I don't want him to say something stupid

d) no point in ever asking the board for more resources, or putting forward an ultimatum, ive tried it in a million different scenarios, it never works.

Asking the board for more resources has worked for me in the past, and an ultimatum is bound to get you sacked - "No one is bigger than the club"

e) players being annoyed at a lack of managerial discipline, with no opportunity to fix it and just being "slt" for an entire season. Why?

Yeah this annoys the hell out of me too

f) the end of season world player awards are a joke and while its getting better is still not accurate. Plus isn't there some world player award where managers and journalists and players get a vote? Why dont we get to vote on that stuff!?!? That would be fun.

I believe international managers vote

g) mike phelan currently on 15,000 a week is asking for 27000 in his new contract and I can only offer 15000 he wont sign and will probably leave. Im not sure if people know Man utd and Mike Phelan, but Im sorry, he wouldnt just leave when his contract expired, he loves UTD.

He'd have to leave unfortunately, unless he wanted to do volunteer work. Besides, if he wants more money and you can't afford him either: a) let him go and get someone better in, not much else you can do, he won't comprimise, or b) adjust your wage and transfer budgets to suit you

Ok may seem somewhat specific, but I think we all know what Im talking about here? Mental speedbumps in a game trying to make you feel like youre in a type of football management reality.

Comments in bold

Archived