Running two instances of FM09.

The only way I can think of would be to create a Windows VM image and run the second instance of FM in that while the other runs as normal.

But in plain old Windows (or Mac OS) it isn't possible as FM checks for another running instance on start up.

The only way I can think of would be to create a Windows VM image and run the second instance of FM in that while the other runs as normal.

But in plain old Windows (or Mac OS) it isn't possible as FM checks for another running instance on start up.

Bah I thought I would have to do that. I don't really want to be faffing around with a VM every time I want to play twice.

Do you know where in the code it checks, perhaps the would be easier to edit.

Hobgob.

You could try creating another user account on your machine and run a copy on each account. You could then fast switch between them. It's probably as much a faff as using a VM though.

I doubt it would be easy to remove the check either, as I'm pretty sure that the check was put in because running two instances causes problems. Things like two separate copies trying to keep temporary files in the same temp folder and overwriting each others files.

Not a clue.

I was going to suggest a second install and rename the fm.exe file to see if that fools it but then it'll probably have problems loading second instances of dll's etc.

Load up something like Process Explorer and check for all the files fm.exe is calling/relying on when running and you'll see how far and wide its tendrils spread so I think the second (virtual) machine is the only option not likely to end in corrupted files etc.

Not a clue.

I was going to suggest a second install and rename the fm.exe file to see if that fools it but then it'll probably have problems loading second instances of dll's etc.

Load up something like Process Explorer and check for all the files fm.exe is calling/relying on when running and you'll see how far and wide its tendrils spread so I think the second (virtual) machine is the only option not likely to end in corrupted files etc.

Thats not a bad idea actually, I can run one of a USB stick....should work. All the temp files/folders would also be based on the stick.

My big game on the PC then my Premier League only game on the stick. Shame ill have to buy another stick to test though, only got 1gb of space left.

Hobgob.

Thats not a bad idea actually, I can run one of a USB stick....should work. All the temp files/folders would also be based on the stick.

My big game on the PC then my Premier League only game on the stick. Shame ill have to buy another stick to test though, only got 1gb of space left.

Hobgob.

While the executable and temp files etc will be stored on the USB drive, the dll's etc will be expected to share memory (ram) which is where I think you'll have problems. For example fm.exe loads and starts matchengine.dll (made up dll :) ) then you launch renamedfm.exe from the usb stick, it needs matchengine.dll, finds it in memory and then you have 2 executables trying to access the same file, send it seperate instructions etc.

Worth an effort and if it works I'll happily eat my words...just be surprised if it does.:(

While the executable and temp files etc will be stored on the USB drive, the dll's etc will be expected to share memory (ram) which is where I think you'll have problems. For example fm.exe loads and starts matchengine.dll (made up dll :) ) then you launch renamedfm.exe from the usb stick, it needs matchengine.dll, finds it in memory and then you have 2 executables trying to access the same file, send it seperate instructions etc.

Worth an effort and if it works I'll happily eat my words...just be surprised if it does.:(

Yeah that is true daemonic, I should have though of that. Would changing the processor affinity's change the RAM position each file based in the RAM would access?

If not is there a way to set a RAM affinity in the same way you can with the CPU.

Then I could set Instance 1 to run from Core 0 and 1 and one 2gb RAM stick. Then Instance 2 to run from Core 2 and 3 and the other 2gb RAM stick.

Yeah that is true daemonic, I should have though of that. Would changing the processor affinity's change the RAM position each file based in the RAM would access?

No

If not is there a way to set a RAM affinity in the same way you can with the CPU.

Then I could set Instance 1 to run from Core 0 and 1 and one 2gb RAM stick. Then Instance 2 to run from Core 2 and 3 and the other 2gb RAM stick.

Not that I'm aware of but will have a search later. The affinity thing works because the OS sees the seperate cores as distinct cpu's but memory is just seen as 1 piece.

It is worth downloading Process Explorer and checking how many files fm.exe is accessing when running. I'm not at my own pc at the moment so can't check but it could be that the executable has everything it needs for processing and only accesses data files.

Archived