Finances (Always in the red and sick of it)

Hey guy hope someone out there can help me, Finances aint good here at Carlisle (English League One) and wondering if any1 got tips on how turn this around, dosnt matter how big or small it is just throw it at me might be missing most obvious thing.

Took over 5 months ago (April 2011)

Balance in last 3 years sharp decline from 2million to -616K

No Loans ,

1,500 left in players wages hoping sell players off in jan transfer to help raise funds

7,750 left in transfer kitty which havnt touched and wont (hoping use free transfers in jan)

average att per game 8900.

Apparently pre-season friendlies against high profile clubs are quite a good way to make money. You can get about a hundred thousand a pop. I have yet to try this myself, and I really need to!

I was wondering, is there anyway to convince players to take a wage cut? I've tried offering my highest earners lower wages, but it doesn't work.

What I would do is reduce the wage budget. Just because it is under what the board have given you does not mean that you will make a profit. You will know when it is at the right level when you see that your balance is going up after you have played your home games.

Selling your players is an obvious one and buying players on free transfers

Thanks PADDYBROPHY,YNWALC and EYKO, will try all these seems i`m in late sept with team will try high profile friendlys maybe that`ll help, will def play around in transfer market but Squad harmony is at around 8/10 so dont want that dipping. cheers keep them coming.

As has been said, the best thing you can do is reduce the wage budget. If you have more than one physio then try and get rid of any extra ones when their contracts are up. Same with coaches, at that level, with the facilities you'll have you're not going to see a great improvement in your players attributes anyway, so you're best off just operating with minimal staff until you have more cash.

Don't bother with a reserve or youth team either, just have enough players to play week in week out and cover tirdness and injuries, anyone else is a drain on finances.

I find the best time to start to arrange friendly's is on the 1st of june so you can start friendly's earlier than normal

i also arrange a friendly every 2 days sometimes 15/20 Friendly's Until a week before kick 0ff Then arrange 3 friendly's with clubs you know your going to beat ie.. Non League. for a Morale Boost

Celtic and Rangers always seem to accept friendly's

That's an interesting idea chopper99. Is there anyway to dissolve the reserve/youth teams?

Not officially, you'll always have grey players in there padding them out. I simply sell on anyone who will never get near my first team, even youngster (unless they have really high potential).

When playing in the lower leagues I simply keep the players I'm going to use, and I've found this helps with finances.

I released all my youth players as nobody wanted to buy them. It cost me £100k but saved me about £1k a week on wages. I have already made my money back and I am making a lot more profit.

I sold a lot of players as well. I have made almost £300k on transfers and I bought all of the players on free transfers so I am not going to make a loss on them

Apparently pre-season friendlies against high profile clubs are quite a good way to make money. You can get about a hundred thousand a pop. I have yet to try this myself, and I really need to!

I was wondering, is there anyway to convince players to take a wage cut? I've tried offering my highest earners lower wages, but it doesn't work.

It is possible to get players to take a wage cut. It doesn't often work but it's worth a try. While managing a 1st division club from Finland I offered every player a new contract earning slightly less (like 100 euro or so less per week) and got a few who were willing to take the cut. It all adds up in the end when combined with the other ideas already mentioned.

Cheers again guys have thought seriously about axing the reserves, tryd friendlys but only 1 good response from bronby in denmark, board estimate 4k? does that mean gate receipts? just got friendly with genoa its worth 6K noting mind blowing but can see how this would help

Ok guys just pulled big one off, created cup with Brondby, Herfolge, Silkeborg expected 32k from it gave 2k to brondby for entering and 1k each to others with this every 2nd week and still able keep most of 1st team could be out of red in year i think, never would have thought of it only for your imput cheers everyone

Anymore keep it coming

Archived