Lower League Management: Which leagues do you load?

Guys,

I am playing as Oxford in the BSP.

Which guide out of them all do you use and think is most effective?

Truth is, i have come across these all and dont know who's to go with!

I have recently come across...

Heath's Management Approach

"How to pwn Football Manager - the walkthrough - tactics and scouting" by The Game

WWFan TTF

Megafan2005's "That There FM Guide: My Help Guide On FM"

Which have you had most success with (as a lower league team)?

I like TT&F the best in terms of creating a tactic. I've had good success on 09 using this with big and small clubs. The pre-made tactics are great but would need some tweaks for a LL club in my opinion

For a LL team I use the "Rule of One" Managerial Type & Mentality System found in TT&F with a 4-4-2. As it says in the pdf, it allows for less creative freedom which works well in the LLs where you are obviously going to have less talented players. Then I generally make it a priority to get a good target man and play long balls to him.

Heath's Management Approach has some great info in it too. Particularly the financial side of LLM and building your squad.

Haven't read the others. Hope this helps!

I like TT&F the best in terms of creating a tactic. I've had good success on 09 using this with big and small clubs. The pre-made tactics are great but would need some tweaks for a LL club in my opinion

For a LL team I use the "Rule of One" Managerial Type & Mentality System found in TT&F with a 4-4-2. As it says in the pdf, it allows for less creative freedom which works well in the LLs where you are obviously going to have less talented players. Then I generally make it a priority to get a good target man and play long balls to him.

Heath's Management Approach has some great info in it too. Particularly the financial side of LLM and building your squad.

Haven't read the others. Hope this helps!

Hmm Interesting mate. I will try TT&F's Rule of One Theory.

I was using SIMPLICITY before and yes, it did work well for a few games until i started conceding a few goals - but still winning after a harsh half-time team talk.

I was wanting to know which guide was BEST for managing a smaller club?

At Oxford, my players are not exactly rubbish as i have brought in some technically gifted players with good technical/physical and mental stats from Bolivia - but the level of football is obviously still of low standard in the BSP - therefore i am confused as to what guide to use...:(

I started a game with Chelmsford in the BSS (one below Oxford) and found that you just leave your sliders as the same, and just assign corner/free kick takers and you should do fine, i also play 4-4-2. I do change the mentality if im home/away, home - to the 1st attacking notch/away - to the 1st defensive notch (only if im an underdog though). Another one i have is to always have it on counter attacking, worked wonders for me and now im in league 2 (2 seasons/2 promotions)

TT&F is a fantastic guide, but for LLM-ing, the teams/players you will be working with may be better suited to follow less individual-instruction-heavy tactics, like the ones outlined in this guide by Loversleaper. Got me consecutive promotions from BSS with Bishop's Stortford all the way through to the CCC, and I'm currently sitting 1st in the CCC with half the season gone. Works great with any type of side, really, you just need to find the tactic that works best with the personnel and situation you are in. Good luck! :)

PrinceEgypt - My own "guide" is aimed at helping people start a save with a lower league club and also look at a different approach to playing FM that's not just about the tactics, where it seems many people struggle. I like to build a team around my preferred tactic, rather than continually adapt or tweak a tactic around players who ultimately might not be suitable anyway.

I think there's a good selection of guides this year, so it's definately worth having a good read through all of the one's you've mentioned and possibly cherry picking the information that you find most informative and useful. I think we all have similar ideas, whilst we may also do things a bit differently too. There's no definitive guide as such, so take the information you see and use what you think suits your own preferences most. :)

Archived