Is it unrealistic to create tactics that dominate Away?

With a good to world class squads, it has been easy enough to dominate home game. Now I want to create tactics that would also dominate away game to the point of:

My team:

Possession: > 55%

Total Shots: > 15

Shots on Target: > 6

Clear cut chances: > 2

Passes Complete: > 75%

Opponent team:

Total Shots: < 7

Shots on Target: < 3

Is it unrealistic or undoable to create such tactics? I only wish to be able to do it away AGAINST team of equal and lower strength (example: my team is Man Utd, I want to dominate away against Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal).

I have had some success for the past few seasons, but this season Man City have a really good squad and their attacking and defensive power is really impressive and I'm struggle against them away.

And IF, IF I did create such tactics, would it be unrealistic in soccer world? I mean Man Utd in real life is good, but surely they are not so comfortable to go away against the other big 4 and say "We will dominate them".

I also struggle away, and I'm Man City in the end of the 09/10 season. Like someone on the forum said; 9.3 has made you win big home, and lose away (just like in FM08). IMO this was better balanced in the other patches. Man Utd won't dominate all their away games versus the top 4, but they certainly won't be completely overrun all the time either.

Anyone created a successful away tactic without counter attack ?

Some people are getting carried away with a perceived home/away dichotomy. If you have a world-class squad you should be favourites for nearly all your away games (via the match odds) and thus you can win with a tactic similar to your home one, just a bit more conservative.

Against teams of equal or near-equal quality you don't have to radically change anything - I go for more closing down, more direct passing, possibly play more down the wings than mixed, and have slightly more defensive settings. Sometimes I switch to counter-attack too. But these are just slight tweaks to my basic formation. If it aiin't broke at home, why fix it for away?

Some people are getting carried away with a perceived home/away dichotomy. If you have a world-class squad you should be favourites for nearly all your away games (via the match odds) and thus you can win with a tactic similar to your home one, just a bit more conservative.

Against teams of equal or near-equal quality you don't have to radically change anything - I go for more closing down, more direct passing, possibly play more down the wings than mixed, and have slightly more defensive settings. Sometimes I switch to counter-attack too. But these are just slight tweaks to my basic formation. If it aiin't broke at home, why fix it for away?

this is basically what I do too. People say that consistency is pretty much rewarded in FM09 so I try to go with my home tactic for all games, tweaking it in-match if needed. Still I win at home ( vs chelsea 4-2, vs Liverpool 2-0, vs Arsenal 2-0, vs United 2-1) and lose away (0-2 chelsea, 1-2 united). I guess you cant argue too much withthose results (in fact they remind me of uniteds season), but I would have liked some of these games to be tighter and maybe finish as a draw. Right now Home advantage is everything against everyone. I've been 3-0 up against weaker opposition (tottenham, portsmouth) only to slip up and draw 3-3.

How do you change your defensive line for away matches? still push up like at home or is this suicidal d'you think? how about time wasting, width, ?

Home and Away, my D-line largely depends on the pace/acceleration of the oppo forwards. Width depends on the pitch and the oppo tactics (as revealed by the scout). Time wasting always starts the same and is increased or decreased in the second half depending if I'm chasing the game or hanging on. As I say, what I consider pre-match is mentality, passing style and closing down. Also I might employ 2 central midfielders who are more defensive-minded rather than one MCd and an MCa.

Archived