Interesting situation....advice needed.....

I actually haven't been on the forums in a while, as FM 09 has not treated me well, though with the new patch out, I'l probably give it another go. Anyway, at my school (Bowling Green State University) there are 3 kinds of soccer....there's the actual team, the club team, and intramurals. I played in intramurals and our team was hideous.

This fall, I played with the club team during practices (I knew some of the guys from pickup games in the past) and watched a couple of the games. During practice, I was always the worst player technically, but that's because everyone else has been playing since they could walk....I hadn't discovered the sport until I got into school (which has been two years) While watching some of the games, I noticed that the D-line was too far up and the midfield was too down.......all 3 goals scored against the team were long balls over the top. I told a friend of mine on the team my thoughts, and a few months later while kicking the ball around, he asked me to coach the team next year. I was stunned, mainly because I wanted to try out for the team, but coaching wasn't even thought of. I dismissed it as a pipe dream though, as even though he was in my mind one of the better players, he was probably just talking nonsense.

Yesterday, while getting ready to kick the ball around, a couple other guys on the team asked me if I wanted to coach (one of which is more or less in charge of running the team). I again told them that I obviously didn't have the talent to play, and they said that I know positions and formations and during halftime they needed someone to direct them, instead of a bunch of people talking over each other. I was still a bit skeptical, but then while kicking the ball around, one guy told me to start evaluating talent now since I'm gonna be coach in the fall......

So I need some advice......I figure I'd turn to the community where a lot people with similar expertise, as I've played 07 and 08 religiously. Do you guys have any tips or suggestions as to what I should do? How I should run practices? How I can earn the players' respect? The guys who've asked me are friends of mine, so they'll listen to me.....I'm not too sure about the rest, especially since I'm not a great football player. I do have ideas as to how to play, and often in pickup games I think to myself that people are making the wrong pass in certain situations. I'm also worried because there's one player who seems to have decent technique, but dallies on the ball, tries tricks, and everyone considers him to be a jackass. Should I cut him in favor of another player with less skills? Any feedback is appreciated! and sorry for the length :D

Mourinho was never a great football player and turned his eye to coaching/management and he is now a World Class manager. Just a small reminder that you don't have to be technically gifted as a player to end up in the world of football coaching/management. ftg87 is right though this should be in the football forum, you'll get some good advice in there. Good luck! :)

Archived