Youth or Full time contracts?

I finally picked up FM09 and started playing as Barcelona after watching some of their wonderful football this season, I've gotten some pretty decent youngsters at my under-19 squad and was wondering what's the best type of contract to have them on. I've noticed that other clubs keep their youngsters on youth contract when they are 17-18.

Is it better for their development to sign them on full time contracts early so that they can start full time training when they turn 17 or could this be too much too early? And what other pros and cons are there to the types of contract?

And while i have your attention; is it better to keep your future stars in the under-19 squad when you have a state of the art training ground like Barcelona, or could they benefit more from being loaned out? I personally usually do the first, but mostly out of convenience.

I finally picked up FM09 and started playing as Barcelona after watching some of their wonderful football this season, I've gotten some pretty decent youngsters at my under-19 squad and was wondering what's the best type of contract to have them on. I've noticed that other clubs keep their youngsters on youth contract when they are 17-18.

Is it better for their development to sign them on full time contracts early so that they can start full time training when they turn 17 or could this be too much too early? And what other pros and cons are there to the types of contract?

And while i have your attention; is it better to keep your future stars in the under-19 squad when you have a state of the art training ground like Barcelona, or could they benefit more from being loaned out? I personally usually do the first, but mostly out of convenience.

The system i use is to keep the U-19 players on their youth contract untill they're developed enough for the 'B' side, in which case i'll sign them on a senior contract, (which in Spain can be from 16, not 17) move them up to the 'B' side to either play there or to be sent out on loan.

Never found a problem with promoting them as young as 17 if they're good enough, and they continue to develope.

Not sure about you, but i seem to get 3/4 players a year through the academy who can become good La Liga players, so it's important to find a way of developing them the best you can.

The system i use is to keep the U-19 players on their youth contract untill they're developed enough for the 'B' side, in which case i'll sign them on a senior contract, (which in Spain can be from 16, not 17) move them up to the 'B' side to either play there or to be sent out on loan.

Never found a problem with promoting them as young as 17 if they're good enough, and they continue to develope.

Not sure about you, but i seem to get 3/4 players a year through the academy who can become good La Liga players, so it's important to find a way of developing them the best you can.

Ah, ok. As you probably see, i haven't played the spanish league much and is very new to the "B" team side of the game, so i really appreciate the inputs:thup:

I haven't really been promoting players to the "B" team before (i'm in my third season) as it seems to be little logic in the number registration and squad selection, but most of the deadwood in the team is reaching the end of their contracts and I can start filling it with some talent and mister Enrique will hopefully register them.

I'm a little sceptical to the training schedules though. As far as I understand, the "B" uses their own schedules and coaches (actually there is only one coach atm). Wouldn't this hinder the development?

Archived