The best time to sell in FM09

Apologies if this has already been covered. I did a little hunt and couldn't find anything but i feel it must have come up!

I've been managing in the lower leagues with Chelmsford for a number of seasons (think I'm in 2014) I'm now in league 2. I've always had a problem with selling players i've out grown. I can't even get offers for 1k for them, but i can sometimes give them away if i offer them for £0. These are not rubbish players, nor players that have hardly been used, usually it is a player i have paid a small sum for (or signed for free) who has performed admirably (or at least to a reasonable standard) throughout the previous season and due to a promotion I decide to replace the player. I often have players that are "wanted" but the interested parites never make a bid.

I have another game, where I am Crewe, I've only played one season, but in this game i have an excellent left winger whose performed very well for me and I believe is "wanted" by a couple of championship sides. The season has just ended and his in-game value is 400K. I'm wanting to sell the player if i can grab a million for him (although I'm scared I won't get any lucrative bids)....

My question is, when is the best time to do the "offer to clubs" transfer list thing we do to try and force a sale?

Do people find they can command higher fees in the close season than in the january window? Do you find you get more interest at any particular window? And in the close season is any month a particulaly good time to offer? After the window opens, or before?

I'm just curious as to what difference the timing of offfering players to clubs makes. Thankyou for any help :).

Whenever I play in the lower leagues and want to get rid of players, no matter how many I put up for sale or loan list I find genuine offers hard to come by. I often just end up giving the players away for free so that I can free up some wage budget, as players signed on frees have a lot smaller wage demands when often they are better.

I feel for you.

It's a tricky one. In my experience I have only been able to sell a player some times at a profit when another AI team(s) are really want my player, it is normally a player I don't want to sell that's the only time I have been able to sell at a profit.

However when it is a player that you no longer need, you are better off choosing the 'Offer to clubs' option this tends to work, near the end of the transfer period.

However a price drop may be necassary for the interested parties to bid for the player. You never know maybe others on this forum have had better luck than me. To buying clubs will have to be really, really interested TBH.

Thanks. All very interesting.

Even at higher levels with more decent players, is there a better time to sell? I mean i would guess that just after the season "switch" over where the relegations and promotions actually take place might be a good time becasue all the AI teams will have had there TV money, but im unsure at what time the AI really gets bussiest for the buying.

Archived