Why does a tactic inexplicably stop working?

Ok, so im at QPR and doing nicely in my first season. Im in Feb and have just beat league leaders Reading to carry on my winning run of 7 games and unbeaten run of 15 games. My tactic is a modest 4-1-3-2 that concentrates on being tight and controlling games and (more often than not) winning 1-0. I have a young team but they are performing well and have ousted the older statesmen.

After the Reading game I rose to 2nd and I was congratulating myself on the tactic I had created (no downloads here :)). Guess what happens next. I havent changed a thing, why would I? And the team goes on one of the worst runs ive had in an FM game. I lost at home to Doncaster, DONCASTER! I've scored 1 goal in over a month. I refuse to change tactics because there is no reason why it should stop working. I understand the whole "other teams work out how to play against you" arguement. But I had created my team to play as a machine that was tight and soaked up pressure and hit teams on the break, and it was working! How can a host of Championship teams work out how to beat me. ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Any thoughts guys on what might have gone wrong. Or have any of you had similar stories? How did you get out of it? I'm loathe to changing my tactic because at the end of the day, where does it end? will I have to change it again in a couple of months time...

When 1 team beats you then the next team looks at the weakness they exploited and then attempts to do the same, obviously somewhere along the line a weakness has cropped up and keep getting exploited.

That's the best I can come up with so if you have looked at everything I can't be any help but judging by the fact you have said you've changed nothing I expect there is a weakness which you seem to refuse to change

lol. I succumbed and made a new tactic. Gone back to 4-4-2 with a bit more of an attacking edge. funnily enough I was praised by media and my players for changing tactics and securing a much needed win (nice touch). I enjoy making my own tactics but I dont think I should be required to do a complete overhaul 3+ times a season. ah well. hopefully i'll be able to keep some form for the run in and get a playoff place. not too bad for first season at QPR.

I seem to have a dip in form during each season lasting or about a month, maybe 2 months max so maybe it was your turn for a dip in form. Apart from that and what I said above I can't really think of anything else that may of caused it!

Congrats on turning your fortunes round, I've never had the players praising me for changing tactics but my players have been known to call me a tactical genius or securing a win against teams I was expected to loose heavily to with numerous teams. My favorite 1 was getting a win over Man Utd at Old Trafford on the last day of the season with Fulham to secure Premiership football the following season on '08

Archived