Underperforming CMs

I play a 4-1-1-3-1 with my Hibs-team, and have been reasonably successful. Most of my players are performing well, with average ratings over 7 across the board.

The exception is my central midfielder. Regardless of who plays there the rating will almost always (unless he bags a goal) be 5.8-6.2, regardless of who I play there.

My best midfielder (Bernardo) is rated as a leading star of any premier leage side, and has been with me for a few years, so gelling/adapting shouldn't be a problem. The CM also invariably tires very quickly in comparison with my other players, even though I try and use players with high stamina and natural fitness.

Will a formation that uses a DM, a CM, and an AM (all central) be just too many midfielders (which would seem odd) or is there a way to assign roles so they can work together. Obviously my DM is more defensively orientated, CM a bit more offensive, and the AM almost as a striker. How would you organise the sliders/mentalities for my central-line - pointers please?

My lone striker also has a few off days, by the way, but a) that is true for most strikers, especially when alone on top, and b) I'm hoping that could be solved by getting a better functioning midfield to support the attack.

I would really prefer to get my 4-1-1-3-1 to work rather than change formation, and would be grateful if I could get some hints on how to make it work. Please!

I play a 4-1-1-3-1 with my Hibs-team, and have been reasonably successful. Most of my players are performing well, with average ratings over 7 across the board.

The exception is my central midfielder. Regardless of who plays there the rating will almost always (unless he bags a goal) be 5.8-6.2, regardless of who I play there.

My best midfielder (Bernardo) is rated as a leading star of any premier leage side, and has been with me for a few years, so gelling/adapting shouldn't be a problem. The CM also invariably tires very quickly in comparison with my other players, even though I try and use players with high stamina and natural fitness.

Will a formation that uses a DM, a CM, and an AM (all central) be just too many midfielders (which would seem odd) or is there a way to assign roles so they can work together. Obviously my DM is more defensively orientated, CM a bit more offensive, and the AM almost as a striker. How would you organise the sliders/mentalities for my central-line - pointers please?

My lone striker also has a few off days, by the way, but a) that is true for most strikers, especially when alone on top, and b) I'm hoping that could be solved by getting a better functioning midfield to support the attack.

I would really prefer to get my 4-1-1-3-1 to work rather than change formation, and would be grateful if I could get some hints on how to make it work. Please!

Thing is, your cm cannot really be offensive as he'll get caught out a lot. Could you not make him a playmaker? Give him direct passing, highmid mentality, high cf but mixed runs only.

Thank you muchly! Bernardo is now performing like the star I always knew he could be. He's been one of the best players on the pitch since I made the changes. Now I just need to slap some sense into my striker who's on a barren spell, and it'll be dancer!

Archived