defending a lead

In second season with Everton now, I have tried my best to emulate the Mourinho Chelsea style until I get some money to expand, we are grinding out a lot of 1-0's, especially away from home and are very difficult to beat on our trips. However, at home, it seems as we go one up, we struggle to keep the opposition away from our goal and they end up with 3-4 clear cut chances (mostly from wings). This seems to happen more against the likes of Man City, Spurs or WBA than the 'big four.' When we do go a goal down, we have no problem creating chances, likewise, my 'shut up shop' tactic for last 10 mins has no problems, I just want some tips on counter/ control systems.

Further info:

play 4-3-3 - usual XI, Howard, Clerc, Baines, Rodwell, Yobo, Jagielka, Cahill, Fellaini, De María, Alexis Sanchez and Yakubu

I usually tick counter attack, drop mentality, CD, CF, DL, passing and tempo slightly when we take the lead at home, is this right way to go? Or should I go for the kill?

Hay i try usually get 2 goal lead if im favourite or if odds are close then i slow the tempo down and change my tactic here and there like dropping a few players back. Usually if it stays 1-0 in the 70th min i go for a slower approach and ultra defensive and all that.

Archived