Pep's Barca

I'm normally a fan of the high pressing kick and run type football but as of late I've been more interested in the great Barcelona team/teams. I don't remember a specific year but I always have images of a specific team that was all conquering and I've been trying to replicate it of late.

I've set up the following in a 4141/433

SK S (Valdes)

CWB S/A (Alves)

CD D (Pique)

CD D (Puyol)

WB D/S (Abidal)

HB (Busquets)

DLP S or RPM (Xavi)

MEZZ S/A (Iniesta)

IW S (Pedro)

IF A (Villa)

F9 or CF S (Messi) ( I've also tried using an SS)

I like the choice of roles as it's quite balanced with the WBd, Mezz and IFa on one side and having the CWBs/a, DLPs/RPM, and IWs on the other. I also tell my CDs to go wider so that they spread more to allow better build up with the HB sitting deeper.

I've chose the IW because from memory I remember pedro cutting in but also running the lines and more of an assist type player. On the other side I chose the IF because in Villa and Henry they were strikers playing out of position and were usually the more attacking and higher scoring (along with messi of course).

My main issue is with team instructions and to a lesser extent player instructions.

I either pass the ball around with no intent or it just gets passed about the back and lumped forward to the attackers which isn't how they played so it's not what I'm wanting. 

This is all from either memory or small snippets of information I've read so i know that alot (probably most) will not be true and probably wrong. Any help on this would be appreciated as I know there are some pep fanatics out there and also people with different interpretations

Hi @FMSacchi

I'm actually doing the same, although really early on. I intend to run a long save playing in Indonesia as Bali United, they are one of the better teams in the top division, although most teams seem fairly competitive. As such my guys maybe aren't the level of Pique, Alves, Messi etc. So far I'm 3-2-2 after 7 games, sitting 6th of 18, but the last two games saw good wins. Before that I was dominating possession, but making very few chances.

My setup is this:

GK - SK(s)

RB - CWB (A)

CB - BPB (D)

CB - BPD (D)

LB - WB (S)

DM - HB (D)

MCR - DLP (S)

MCL - AP (A)

AMR - IW (S)

AML - IF (A)

ST - F9 (S)

Mentality: Positive

In Possession: Much Shorter Passing, Play out of Defense, Low Crosses, Work Ball into Box

In Transition: Distribute to CB's, Counter Press

Out of Possession: Much Higher Defensive Line, Much Higher Line of Engagement, Extremely Urgent Closing Down

So we are pretty similar in how we have set up. Changing Alves from Su>At role, and Pedro & Villa from role from IF(s) to new roles made a big difference. The other key was moving a couple players around. My best passer was a natural DM, moved him to Xavi role and my circulation looks a lot better, and I seem to be getting more chances rather than just aimless possession.