Question on Retraining Players in FM20

I currently have a 17/yo midfielder who has some decent stats all around. His passing, crossing, tackling, and pace are a few of his attributes that standout. It would seem he would make a solid fullback/wingback however it shows he's only playable as midfielder. Would it be possible to retrain him as a fullback/wingback even if he has no experience playing there? If you know of any guide or write-up that covers retraining that would also be great. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is possible. It is always better to focus on the player’s attributes than his listed positions. If he has the attributes, train him at the desired position. 

A couple of things I consider when retraining positions:

1. The player must get game time in the position. The more they get, the more comfortable they become in the position. May have to consider managing youth team to ensure player is played in the position.

2. How fast they develop in a new position depends on their versatility (under the hood trait). Sometimes your assman May provide you hints to a players versatility.

3. The players decision making trait helps to limit a players mistakes they might make playing in an unfamiliar position. 

Hope this helps. There may be other factors, but I feel these are key for me.