The AI is doing a very bad job of managing financial difficulties

I've played through five seasons managing Juventus, and during the summer after the fifth season noticed that suddenly Napoli had transfer listed and/or listed for loan pretty much it's full first team. Ok, that's weird, I thought. Napoli's information tab stated that their financial status was insecure, and indeed it is: through the editor I saw that their balance was about -190m euros (IIRC)! They had just purchased three players, all of whom I think they had already on loan. I'm not sure if they had mandatory or voluntary buy options for the loanees, but for Depay alone they paid a whopping 90m euros. So that's already a very stupid move by the AI to spend well over its means, but so far it has really failed in its attempt to fix the situation. Wouldn't the wisest course of action be to sell enough players to cover the deficit and to get rid of their wages? Surely one wouldn't (and shouldn't!) get the best possible prices for the players being sold, but still, to me that seems like the best option. Instead the AI has so far sold one player, and the other moves have been to loan first team players out. Ok, that at least gets their wages off the books, right? No. The loan deals Napoli has done have left them with the obligation to cover about 90% (!!) of the loanees' wages! So the AI isn't helping it's dire financial situation at all and instead is just destroying it's squad completely for no gain. Gonna be interesting to see what remains of the squad once the season starts and what their final position will be.

Archived