Advice on becoming more 'reactive'

Been out of the Football manager circles for a few years now, briefly playing 15, 16 and 17 without getting too in-depth. The new game has piqued my interest again so decided to again give a vast proportion of my waking life to this game. 

My question, specifically, is to do with in game management. I'm a firm believer in having a distinctive playing style (currently developing a Tucel/Dortmund style along with this thread

) but aside from that I think tweaking the system/roles/structure ever so slightly to counter specific threats is essential. Before the game I sometimes tweak roles slightly, my most common one being changing the DMC from a Playmaking role to a more defensive role if I think the opposition AMC may be super effective (if I do this I usually change a MC for example to pickup the playmaking mantle). However, in game I have ALWAYS struggled to identify what is going wrong? I've seen some great advice recently that basically said make notes on every goal you concede from the moment possession is lost then look for patterns. Once a goal has been conceded however it's already too late.

What do people do/look for in-game to try and identify potential problems before they arise? I usually watch a game on comprehensive highlights, switching to key if things are going well.

Think this is the last piece to my football manager puzzle, so excited to hear some responses. 

Archived