Weird 'city of birth' issue

I imported an old fantasy nation edit from FM15 into FM17. My fantasy nation overwrote the Faroe Islands; I moved literally everything from the Faroes into Denmark.

On FM15, this worked fine. Occasionally the odd hard-coded Faroese name or Danish second nationality amongst the regens, but nothing really to complain about.

On FM17, it seems most of the regens have Faroese cities, now set to Denmark, as their place of birth, rather than the cities of my fantasy nation.

I thought it might be that they belonged to a new Faroese region on FM17 that I needed to remove, but there's nothing like that. I deleted the cities from the data file, and they still somehow come up as the place of birth for regens, though interestingly slightly less frequently.

Any idea what might be going on? Could these cities be hardcoded as cities of birth for that nation?

I certainly do, but not related to any of the cities in the file. All of the fantasy cities are included without any failed changes, and all of the Faroese cities have been deleted without any problems.

Archived