Defensive problem

Hi, I've been a long time player but just recently started playing FM 2017. The game itself feels and plays pretty nicely but I have a problem I've never experienced before, I'm absolutely unable to keep a clean sheet.

I've looked through the forums and no one seems to have encountered the same problem so I'm not going to blame it on the ME, but no matter how defensive I play and no matter how much I'm crushing the opposition I always end up conceding. It seems that 3/4 of my opponents shots on target end up in the back of the net, my keepers maybe win 1 1-1 out of 20 and if it's not that the opposition scores a 40y screamer or score from a penalty. I've got pretty decent players for the division I play in and the tactics and setups I use never gave this kind of result. I end up feeling like I'm getting FM'ed every game & I absolutely can't get my head around it. So I guess my question would be what has changed in FM 17 that makes defending so complicated (at least in my case), is there anything that needs more attention that in the previous editions ?

Here are my two setups, I play in a lower league but the players are still quite decent for that level

tac1.png

tac2.png

• 2 weeks later...

You tactics are both too extreme, the first is too aggressive and attacking, pulling 1 of your fowards back into the AMC postion to make a 4-2-3-1 which is still a very attacking formation would balance things a little.

You second formation is way too defensive with 3 defensive mids and 2 defensive full backs plus centre back backs, playing so deep invites the pressure on you for 90mins.

Tactics are all about balance.

Archived