FM17: Glasgow Rangers, McLean's March

ftblmanager

Hi all first story, and feedback would be lovely. 

Glasgow Rangers

This is a story based on my FM17 save with Glasgow Rangers. I’ve decided to morph real life happenings into a narrative to suit me being the manager. I’m moving Mark Warbuton quitting to the summer after a fall out with the board over transfer spend.

Glasgow Rangers hold a dear place in my heart, as a boy they were my heroes, and I was lucky to play for them during my career. Immediately after retiring I dived straight back into the footballing world, with coaching roles at Huddersfield, Southampton and finally at Dortmund. I always followed Rangers closely, and when I heard about Warbuton’s departure I was in shock, but that paled in comparison to what was to follow.

The first team squad were on their well-deserved season break, but we continued training with promising prospects over the summer. I arrived at seven am for training as I do every day, and turned on Sky Sports News as I do every day, glanced at the screen and started preparing for training as I do every day. I noticed something on the scrolling yellow news bar, but before I could focus on it my phone rang. It was my agent, who was also my brother, Calum. He told me he had massive news. I was intrigued, I had been approached by a handful of European and British clubs to coach for their first teams but was happy in my current role.

Calum said: “I’ve been approached by Stewart Robertson, who has asked if you would attend an interview.”

I replied: “Tell them thanks but I am happy where I am.”

“Steven, listen.” Calum replied: “Stewart Robertson, from Rangers.”

We went back and forth, and an interview was set. Stewart flew to Germany to meet with me, where we had a long, in depth but thoughtful conversation. He laid out the requirements for the job, and I laid out mine.

The next two days passed, I can’t tell you how it felt. Waiting on my boyhood club to phone and either reject me or give me my first management job in football. My phone buzzed, I looked it was the call. Stewart phoned me direct after speaking to Calum, to congratulate me on being successful, I was to be the next manager of Rangers football club.

It would take a couple of weeks for the two clubs to sort out compensation. I got stuck straight in, I slept on my mum’s couch, whilst trying to find a place, and my partner dealt with the move from Germany. I’d always been consumed by football, but this was next level, I’d sit in the dining room talking training, recruitment, and scouting plans. With the staff and players being on holiday, I sent emails to all playing and non playing staff, indicating my expectations for them.

I asked key staff to come back from their holidays early to help prepare for the season ahead. When I was offered the job, I called David Weir (who I knew through the Scotland squad) and asked him to stay on, he had duly obliged. Head scout Frank McParland had been standoffish, he was a friend of Warbuton and an employee as well. When I asked him to come back early he made it clear his intention was to leave, as he didn’t want to work for me.

Immediately we set out a plan for tactics and areas we felt we should strengthen. It was clear the fans wanted quality attacking football, but as in ingrained in the club, success was the foremost importance. By the time Friday came around, and my first press conference as Rangers manager, I was so involved in planning I was 20 minutes late to the conference. I was met with the expected questions, about it being a big job, sleeping giant, lack of experience, and I felt I dealt with them directly and truthfully. I could feel my phone buzzing with emails in my pocket. I had sent out a blanket mail, asking agents to send me details of every single available player they had on their books.

At Dortmund, we cycled through a lot of young players, giving them all chances to impress, and making sure the correct ones were brought into the programmed at the club. I planned to take a similar approach, but more specifically targeted to the areas we needed to develop and strengthen.  After spending hours analyzing video of the squad from the season before, and using David’s knowledge we established the key areas we would need to strengthen to realistically meet our aims for the season.

Archived