Fulham Second season in Championship

gazpowell1986

Greetings FMers

So, the first season at Fulham hasn't gone according to plan. We're currently sat in 15th, 9 points off the play offs with 14 games remaining.  It's not a bold assumption to say promotion is not happening this year. I've flip flopped on tactics too much and yielded very bizarre results.  I've settled on a short passing game with possession being at the forefront.  This works brilliantly at home, but I've just been tore a new one away at Birmingham (6-1- ouch). Prior to that, our record was 4-3-1, so I think this is the way to go, I just need to tweak a few things away from home.  Anyway, my thought have turned to next season (assuming I don;t get sacked), once the embargo has been lifted and I can sign some much needed reinforcements.  I've been playing a 4-1-2-2-1 formations, with 2 wide players playing as an Inside Forward (AML) and Advanced Playmaker (AMR) and the striker playing as a Complete Forward (Support).

Obviously there's a core of good attacking players- Dembele, Woodrow, Williams, Cairney, McCormack, Christensen, Hyndman, Kalinicic.  However there are three issues to address-

1) Defensively, things are not so strong.  Garbutt's loan is up, Hutchinson is out of contract and Amorebieta is s stroppy old boot on a salary that far exceeds his ability.  He's currently on load at Ipswich, hopefully I can shift him on to someone.  So I'm left with Burn, Stearman, Ream, Fredericks and Richards to try and shamble together a back 4. I've been plying with an attacking fullback at RB, where Fredericks has excelled offensively, but he's weak defensively.  On the left I've played a fullback with support duty, with slightly less success, but by no means terrible. Unfortunately, I've not had enough strength in the CB positions to compensate for the defensive frailties at RB, and concede a lot of goals. So as a minimum, I think I need to replace at least one of the CBs, ideally with the ability to play as a ball playing defender; as well as a left back.

2) In the DM position I've favoured Parker for is better mental stats and ball retention.  Ince has come in a few times and does a good job of getting about and breaking up play, but he's not such  great footballer. Parker doesn't want to re-sign for a modest salary, so he might have to go. Tunnicliffe and O'Hara haven't really been up to the job when called upon. However, I've got zero idea who could come in to fill the void. I'd want a player who is adept at breaking up play, but is also a capable footballer (passing, vision, decisions) to get moves going.

3) Lasse Vigen Christensen is after a move to  bigger club.  His current value is £8M, but ideally I'd want £14M+.  If he goes, not only would I be devastated, but I'd also need to bring in a new Roaming Playmaker to fill that void. Alternatively, Hyndman could develop in to that role, in that scenario I'd need a new BBM.

I'm not sure what the budget will look like.  Our balance is currently £10M, there'll be a new parachute payment and some TV money.  I'd be surprised if the budget was over £5M. To supplement this, saving on Parker's wages should add >£3M a year to the wage budget. In terms of expiring contracts, there's another £1M per year dropping off. I'd be open to selling McCormack, as he's been very hit and miss as an inside forward in the AML, where George WIlliams has done pretty well when coming in. 

Any suggestions as to how I can try and maintain the possession philosophy and try and push on to at least the play offs next season would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

just work the loan marked, should be enough quality there to get you a fair bit of the way, then add up with a couple of bosmans and a couple of transferlisted players

wait to sell Vigen until your transfer budget are set and push to get the % of transfers raised if it is below 100%

if a £5m transfer budget with fair wages + what ever you make of Vigen (and other sales) doesn't get you promoted, you should look in the tactic section and download a decent tactic from there, as it won't be the players that are at fault

Archived