Why is my tactic producing endless draws?

Ok, so I have only just moved from FM 15 where I had some success to FM 16 where I am finding things much tougher which is fine however I seem to be struggling with tactics this time.

I holidayed until the end of the first season then took over a recently relegated West Brom team. Most of my decent players were unhappy demanding moves which I granted then most of the lesser players were unhappy that I sold the better players, in the end I ended up with a pretty much entirely changed squad. Started the season struggling with a 4-2-3-1 playing badly but getting a few 1-0 wins along the way. I switched to a 4-3-3, started playing better but have since gone on a quite incredible run of 8 1-1 or 0-0 draws in 10 games, punctuated with a 1-0 win over a poor Millwall team and a 2-1 loss against Bournemouth. One common theme is that in both formations my striker has struggled one has 4 in 18 games, the other has 2 in 15. They also both have by far and away the lowest average rating for the season out of the whole team.

How can I get my strikers scoring & how can I end this run of poor draws?

I can't get screenshots at the moment but this is how I am setting up:

4-3-3 formation, Control, Flexible shape. Don't like to use too many shouts but as standard I have retain possession & work the ball into the box in games I am favourite for & counter & more direct passing for games I am likely to lose.

GK- Ben Foster

R FB (auto) Matt Lowton

CD (defend) Harley Dean

CD (defend) Tommy Smith

L FB (attack) Jesper Juelsgard

BWM (defend) Mohamed El Makrini OR Gary O'Neil

Advanced play maker (support) Adam Forshaw OR CM (defend) Gary O'Neil if likely to lose

Roaming play maker (support) Craig Bryson

Right winger (attack) Lee Chung Yong or Wellington Silva

Inside Forward left (support) Bobby Wood

Advance forward (attack) Britt Assombalonga or Carlton Morris

Craig Bryson has been on fire and has the highest rating for the league of 8.07. Despite the work ball into the box instruction a lot of attempts seem to be blocked and whilst we have conceded the least goals in the entire league we are 14th for goals scored.

Really appreciate any tips!

I think your striker is being isolated. What is it you want them to do?

An Advanced Forward will work the channels, chase balls etc. This really isn't ideal in your set up as you'll want someone central. So if you want someone on the defender's shoulders, I would suggest Poacher. I'd be interested to see the stats for your games because I have a feeling you're dominating possession but not really offering a goal threat.

Thanks for the advice, you may have something with the poacher role so I will definitely give that a try.

Still struggling with screenshots but I wouldnt say I am dominating possession, more like edging it. Usually around 55% in my favour. We don't seem to be creating many chances which I suspect might be down to the retain possession/work ball into box instruction but even with those instructions we seem to be shooting from silly places and having lots of shots blocked by defenders.

Archived