Liverpool FC: Regeneration

InfraRed

July 1st, 2015

Anfield, Liverpool

"Well, its been an eventful day here in Liverpool, as Brendan Rodgers steps down as Liverpool boss. We'll have more news as we get it, but it is understood at this time that the club's poor finish in the league has been the catalyst for the Northern Irishman.

Graeme Souness, reporting for Sky Sports on this day, turned away from his cameraman to look at the stadium behind him. It hurt, knowing that his former club had been so close to a Premier League title this time last year, and had then failed to capitalise on that momentum. Now, as Brendan Rodgers walked out of Anfield for the last time, the Scotsman felt only the smallest pang of sympathy for him.

In his pocket, he felt his phone ring, and pulling it out, he could see that a familiar name was calling him - Jamie Carragher

"Jamie! Are you calling as a pundit, or as a mate?" Souness' greeting was met by a laugh on the other end of the line

"Actually Graeme, i'm calling for some advice"

"Oh, okay, go ahead then"

"Well..." Something in Carragher's voice was shaking "Well, I just got off the phone with the board...they're wanting a fan favourite to take over"

"Right, and they want you"

"Well, they originally wanted Steven, but he won't change his mind on going to Galaxy - he's not finished playing yet"

"Ok, so have they offered you the job?"

"Yeah...thats what I wanted to talk to you about...You've got some management experience behind you, don't you?" Carragher knew the answer just fine - Souness had already managed Liverpool from 1991 to 1994, lifting the FA Cup in his first season. He had also won the League cup with Blackburn rovers, and a couple of trophies in Turkey

"Well, yeah, I guess you could say that... The Scotsman was unsure where this was going, but he had an inkling

"Graeme, I want you to come and be my assistant manager"

Archived