What do Americans love? More Americans! FM16

BS_8

What do Americans love? More Americans!

Orlando City

QPUMcc8.png

Challenge

The challenge is to win the MLS Cup and Champions League with an All American team. Dual nationality will be allowed but the player can not be capped for the non US nation. I'll also be keeping an eye on the American National Team's progress.

I'll be playing with MLS loaded and All Americans loaded, on a medium database. There are around 7,000 players loaded on this game.

History

On October 25, 2010, Phil Rawlins and his investor group of Orlando City Soccer Club, announced their intentions of joining Major League Soccer within the next 3 to 5 years. On February 28, 2011, Orlando City announced it met with commissioner Don Garber and league officials concerning expansion. Topics covered included the demographics of the Orlando marketplace, the local corporate and fan support for soccer, and developing a roadmap for a future MLS franchise in Orlando. Orlando City team officials met with Commissioner Don Garber again on November 10, 2011 for further discussions about joining the MLS as its 20th club – which ultimately went to New York City – in 2013.

Brazilian World Cup-winner Kaká was the team's first Designated Player.

On March 1, 2012. Garber visited Orlando to meet with city and county officials. He stated, "It's not a matter of if, but when," when addressing Orlando's chances of joining MLS. On August 31, 2012, Rawlins told the Orlando Business Journal the team could get the Major League Soccer approval as early as fall 2013, and be ready to play in the league by 2014 or 2015. Rawlins said to make that happen, the league had asked the team to explore building a 22,000-seat soccer-specific stadium. "They didn't say we had to have a stadium built before we could join, but they at least would like a plan that it's happening."

On November 19, 2013, Orlando City SC was announced as the league's twenty-first franchise. On May 13, 2014, the team unveiled its new logo. On June 9, 2014, Orlando City SC announced a partnership with Benfica. As part of that partnership, Orlando City signed two players from the S.L. Benfica Juniors U-19 developmental team – Estrela and Rafael Ramos – to MLS contracts on August 7, 2014. On June 30, 2014 the team signed former Brazil international Kaká as their first Designated Player after his release from AC Milan, loaning him out to São Paulo FC until the start of the season.

On November 21, 2014, Adrian Heath signed a contract extension committing him to the club through to the end of the 2017 MLS season. As an expansion team, Orlando had first pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft, choosing Canadian forward Cyle Larin, formerly of the Connecticut Huskies.

Orlando will be playing this season in the 61,000 seater Citrus Bowl.

CUoz52B.jpg

Starting Squad

rfsAy89.png

92IeuLx.png

My Aims

Orlando has a number of international players, so I'll be trying to trade or offload these for draft picks. I may struggle with their DPs, especially Kaka and Cyle Larin is a talent I may not want to lose until I know I have replaced him. Ideally, I'd offload Larin to Europe.

I think depending on the strength of the rebuild, the play offs should always be the target.

Orlando City

QPUMcc8.png

Pre-Season

Trades

mWl8r5o.png

Out: David Mateos, Estrela, Adrian Winter, Bryan Rochez, Danny Mwanga, 2016 4th pick, International slot and £50k.

In: Andrew Farrell, Mikey Lopez, 2016 3rd and 4th pick, 2017 1st 2nd and 4th pick and 2018 3rd round pick.

I've probably not received the worth of some of these players, but overall I'm pretty happy to move on some international players and receive some picks for some future American talent. I've had to enter the loan market to remove some more international players and to bolster my squad. Rochez leaving also released international DP which isn't required.

Loans

hqjpbUL.png

Some youngsters and international players sent on loan. I've also managed to bring in two American Europeans. One is half French and one is half Croatian, however, neither have been called up. This should help improve my squad a little.

Results

gJV9E3O.png

I'm looking to play a 4-2-3-1 to make use of Kaka as there is no doubt he is a talent and he's my captain. The team have also been trained to a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, for when Kaka moves on, or if he is injured. The team picked up zero injuries and are ready for the season which starts against NYCFC.

Squad

sCilQar.png

xERmuiX.png

Pretty happy with the way the squad is being moulded. I need to keep Larin and Kaka for the season. I currently have 5 International players. Kaka, Larin, Rivas, Higuita and Molino as he has international caps for Trinidad and Tobago.

These are 5 decent players for the MLS so the trades need to help me too. I've been trying to offload Higuita but no clubs currently interested.

With a few days until we play New York City, I think the squad is almost set.

Hopefully we can be competitive.

Orlando City

QPUMcc8.png

Results

2DaXrfB.png

Notable Games

Orlando City 1-2 New York City

Lining up with a 4-2-3-1 we started brightly against NYCFC, controlling possession and creating chances. Aurellen Collin headed home to put us 1 up. Some poor management second half allowed New York to equalise through Andrea Pirlo. With the players tiring all over the pitch, I thought a draw would be a good result until Pirlo set up David Villa with moments to go. Although it was only the first game, it was an opportunity missed and may show that lack of quality DPs later in the game may affect my team.

Portland Timbers 1-3 Orlando City

Columbus Crew 1-3 Orlando City

Having played poorly in the previous game, somehow losing at home to DC United, I headed into this away trip with a bit of a fear the season may get away from us against two inform teams, both 3rd in their division at the time. With only 6 days rest I believed I would have too many tired players.

A very professional performance away to Portland, gave us a victory which was glossed late into the game with Brek Shea's goal. This gave us plenty of optimism against Columbus and the game was over after 26 minutes with goals for Kaka and Siebatcheu wrapping the game up before it even started. Two very strong performances.

Most Notable Player

Kaka had a great couple months and has a worthy mention, but the most notable award goes to young 19 year old forward Jordan Sibatcheu who is on loan from Stade de Reims, his 6 goals and 2 assists in 10 appearances helping push Orlando up the table.

Easter Conference

QLINHwm.png

To see the full table for the Supporters' Shield, please click here.

Other News

Back up 'keeper Earl Edward Jr is out for 7 weeks, this left me a bit short as I only have a squad of 22, with no third 'keeper. This meant diving into the free agent market to secure the services of Luis Soffner who is a big upgrade in that position and will strengthen us if there is an injury to Tally Hall.

On a side note, Kaka is also out for a number of weeks with an injured foot, but the return of Kevin Molino after a year out, is a big boost. Molino, despite a second nationality being American, is a key player for Trinidad and Tobago. This means he doesn't meet the criteria and will leave the club when the opportunity arises. The Transfer Window is now closed, so hopefully no more injuries as I have such a small squad.

I've noticed how reliant we are on a bit of International quality namely Rivas, Kaka and Larin. We will test now that Kaka is our for 4 weeks, unfortunately I don't have an American replacement, so I may use the returning Molino or change formation. A good start none the less from a majority American side. No international call ups to the national team as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived