[FM15] 4-1-3-2 / 4-3-1-2 / Narrow Diamond Test w/ Lille

Hi all,

Have recently begun a new career in FM15, and wanted a nice challenge with a squad and side that isn't rich or bloated with stars, but also in some continental competition. Went with Lille, for those reasons and more, and have elected to try and make a 4132/4312 formation that works the way I want it to.

Here's how it looks so far,

GK: Sweeper Keeper (S) - Vincent Enyeama - Quick throws

RB: Fullback (S) - Sébastien Corchia - Stay wider, run wide with ball

RCB: Central Defender (D) - Marko Baša - Short passing

LCB: Central Defender (D) - Simon Kjær - Short passing

LB: Fullback (S) - Franck Béria - Stay wider, run wide with ball

CDM: Defensive Midfielder (D) - Rio Mavuba - Short passing, Fewer risky passes, Shoot less often, Dribble less

RCM: Ball Winning Midfielder (S) - Souahilo Meïté - Close down more, Tackle harder, fewer risky passes, shoot less often

CM: Advanced Playmaker (A) - Marcos Lopes / Marvin Martin - Get further forward, Roam from position, More risky passes, Move into channels, Close Down more, Tackle harder

LCM: Ball Winning Midfielder (S) - Florent Balmont - Close down more, Tackle harder, fewer risky passes, shoot less often

RCST: Deep-Lying Forward (A) - M'baye Niang (on loan from Milan) - Roam from position, Move into channels, More risky passes

LCST: Poacher (A) - Divock Origi - Roam from position, Move into channels

Attacking, Fluid, Close Down More, Tackle Harder, Short Passing, Prevent GK Distribution

Notes/Initial Objectives:

- Play a quick, attacking game with goals from midfield as well as the forward line

- Heavily based upon the old discussions of how a true 4231 in FM14 needed to use the midfield strata, and not the AM strata

- Also borrowed greatly from the wealth of successful 4132 tactics that have been posted for FM14, and everyone's favorite Diablo tactic from way back when.

- Preference for 2 strikers and at least one (pseudo)attacking midfielder, because of the presence of Origi and Niang (and Frey and Roux), and no true wingers

Observations:

- Average positions indicate that this tactic has the side manifest itself as a narrow(ish) 442 Diamond, with the Advanced Playmaker the one in the "hole" (obviously), which is what I was going for

- Have won every game thus far, though I tend to blitz the first half and then fade in the second (4-0 up against Napoli in the UCL Quals, 4-2 at fulltime, 11-1 on aggregate v Panathinaikos). I don't have a strong bench, though, and don't actually make changes to protect a lead because I want to see how the tactic does in different stages of any given game.

- The CM is the star of the team, making 70-90 passes a game, a ton of dribbles, and his fair share of tackles as well. Gets on the end of crosses, but also wastes many chances

- There is not a lot of actual link-up between the two forwards, might change the poacher to an Advanced Forward to get him more involved (thoughts?)

- The RCM never gets a rating higher than 6.9 in the games I've played (aside from my thumping of Panathinaikos), though the LCM does very well. May well be because of the simple fact the player used there is not as good as Balmont, but I had Mavuba there for the first few games of the season and he didn't contribute either.

- The RB makes many more tackles and passes than the LB

- The Defensive Midfielder does exactly what I need him to do, shielding the defense while being mobile when required.

Questions/Possible experimentation:

- Changing the roles of the forwards for more effective link-up. DLF/AP, F9/CF, TM/P, DF,AF are what I'm considering.

- Changing the role of the RCM to get him more involved, though do not want to sacrifice the mobility and driving force of the CM beside him

- Tinkering with set-pieces, as they are currently set to default, though I've scored a fair number from corners (Basa has 5 in all comps by the end of August)

- Considering having a 4-2-1-3 shape instead of a 4-1-3-2, to better accomodate the two solid midfielders Mavuba and Balmont as well as Origi, Niang, and another attacker

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Have gone through four iterations of this now, and am almost happy with the latest version.

Changes from Original:

DR - Complete Wingback (A) - To take advantage of Corchia's amazingness

CDM - Halfback (D) - Compensating for a more attacking Rightback, and allows for more solidity

RCM - Central Midfielder (D) - Helps to keep the midfield stable

LCM - Roaming Playmaker (S) - Him and the AP(A) run the show, sometimes with over 80 passes each (in my last game the RP got 104, AP 79, beat Sparta Prague 4-0 in the Champs League second round)

RCST - Complete Forward (S) - Is more involved in the buildup, but also offers a threat in behind compared to the DLF/F9

LCST - Advanced Forward (A) - Offers more than the poacher

Issues/Observations

- The addition of the RP gives my team more control, but I make much fewer tackles, which is to expected with more of the ball. Not tested against quality opposition yet.

- Creates lots of chances, but miss a lot too. Not sure if it's an issue of tempo, decision-making, or overall quality of players

- The leftback finds himself inside the box a lot, even though he is not set to Attack, nor has he any PPMs that encourage it, and he is playing on the side with the more "attacking" midfielders.

- The AP is acting the like Diablo CM of old, though not nearly as effective, just that he continually collects the ball and bombs forward heroically, thinking nobody can stop him.

Archived