Tell us the stories of your most memorable matches! (All Versions)

I think it's safe to say for myself (and a lot of others) that FM is the game series that I've sunk the most hours into. Some saves have just flown past while others are more memorable...and then there are those single matches that just stick with you way after you've gone to the next version. They just made you feel...so much. Of course, wether you were dancing in joy and waking the neighbors with your celebrations or just erupting with curses and roars, smashing your laptop and strangling the cat in rage is unimportant. The match might still be memorable.

So, what are the stories of your most unforgettable matches?

Of course, I started this thread with a motive so I'm going to post one of mine:

I believe the version was FM 10 or 11. I had started out with Southampton in League 1, and within seven years, I was in the Champions League. My team wasn't the greatest, but they had great chemistry and always put up a fight, no matter the opposition. I had managed to squeeze out of a tough group ahead of Bordeaux with one point, and fought my way past Inter in the Round of 16, winning on penalties. Then followed some really lucky draws against inferior teams in the quarters and semis, before the final, big test: The final against a VERY powerful Real Madrid. On the Bernabeu.

Here's the kicker; The season before, Real Madrid had let a cracking 21-year old winger by the name Alfredo go on a free transfer. Now, he might not have been good enough for their first team: his pace and physique was world-class, but the rest of his game wasn't nearly as impressive. Mostly, he was useful for his workrate and his ability to get down to the line and cross. Still, free talent for me and I scooped him up. He quickly became a solid player for me and now he was returning "home" to show his former club what a gem they let go...

I did not think I would win the game. I sat back constantly with seven players, among them Asmir Begovic in goal and Steven Taylor and Brazilian Leo on center back, and I barely even managed to bring the ball to their side of the pitch. The barrage was intense all through the game, but in the 84th minute, it was still 0-0.

That's when Alfredo got the ball to his feet, wide right, just past the halfway line. And then, out of nowhere, he cuts inside. He dribbles past their pressing back...then their holding midfielder...and he starts running at the defence, I'm thinking, okay, he's going to try and play through to the striker and then Real are going to clear the ball. But no, he dribbles past both centre backs, AND the left back who's come back for more, then proceeds to CHIP it over a helpless Iker Casillas. 1-0, and it would stay that way until the final whistle.

Alfredo ensured that Southampton won the Champions League that night, for the first time in their club history, and instantly became a club legend. The Saints' single, amazing shot on goal, crafted out entirely by him in a spontaneous move he'd never even attempt again for the rest of his career is something I'll never forget.

My most memorable match is actually from FM14 and I played it just last week.

With my FC Copenhagen side I had easily qualified for the quarter finals of the Champions League in season 21/22. I drew Olympique Lyon and the first leg was to be played in France. My team is off to a good start of the match and after 30 minutes my striker scores an important away goal. Unfortunately, only one minute later one of my central defenders make a professional foul resulting in a direct red card. My already-booked winger decides that it would be a good idea to verbally abuse the referee who to no surprise gives him a second yellow card. Just 1 minuter after taking the lead I'm down two men. Realising that I will probably struggle for the rest of the match, I substitute a midfielder for a central defender to keep my 4-man defence and change the overall approach to a direct counter attack tactic. Hopefully I could keep Lyon from scoring more than two goals, giving me a decent chance in the second leg. Suprisingly everything went better than expected. Just 10 minutes after two of my players were sent off I score another goal. 0-2 with only nine men! I keep Lyon from scoring until half-time and decide to substitute my AF with a midfielder during the break, changing the tactics to a 4-1-2-1 strikerless formation. I expected the French team to put my team under heavy pressure right from the start of the second half so I kept my fingers crossed, hoping that I wouldn't be completely run over. Three minutes into the second half Lyon score a goal, increasing my fear of being run over. But somehow my players kept their heads up and just kept scoring no matter what Lyon did. After 63 minutes the score was 1-5 and even though Lyon managed to score two more goals it didn't stop my players from putting in two more goals as well - when the referee blew the final whistle, Copenhagen had scored 7 goals against the home side's 3, even though we were down by two men for 60 minutes!

The second leg at home wasn't as extraordinary as the first leg, but I easily progressed to the semi finals and in the end my team brought home the Chamions League trophy. But that first match against Lyon was probably the most insane match I've played in FM so far.

2u5do9w.jpg

Archived