5-2-3 - tested in the lower leagues 13.1.3

The tactic

I had been struggling to create CCCs in the new patch, so thought 3 strikers up front would be the way to go, as long as I could keep it tight at the back and down the flanks.

The tactic is neither completely possession based, nor a counter attack direct tactic. It aims to play a short passing game at the back, until the ball reaches the central midfielders, and occasionally the wing backs, who will then look to launch deadly through balls to the front three, who are all moving into channels up front.

When I don't have the ball, my defenders are sitting quite deep and standing off the opponents. It is my front three and central midfielders who do the pressing, hoping to force the opposition into playing a long ball game.

Also, the wing backs join in with some goals, but they're quite defensive, being the only players out wide in my starting XI. It is quite important that you set your pitch to the minimum size. Narrow may work as well, although I haven't tried it yet.

2vrx5jd.jpg

The players

GK - best you can get

CDs - the more central defender should have good pace as it is set to act as cover; the other two should be strong and have good heading and jumping stats as there should be many long balls coming their way.

WBs - go for solid defenders rather than an attacking wing back.

CMs - preferrably a combination of an intelligent play maker in Pirlo's mould, and another creative player with better physical stats. Let's say Fellaini.

Strikers - the middle one is your poacher, so he should have good finishing, composure, pace. The other two are set as defensive forwards, so they'll need to be stronger.

Screenshots

ipurrk.jpg

2s7e721.jpg

f4ebs2.jpg

vflb34.jpg

The tactic only really had one blip; a 3-0 away defeat to Altrincham. Had as many CCCs as them but they had twice as many shots. The other two defeats came in the first match, away to newly relegated Nuneaton (the tactic wasn't yet fluid), and in a home match in which I went down to 10 men after 50 minutes (still should have won looking at the stats mind).

Instructions

I use no OIs and no shouts. I just plug and play. Team talks are important though, just use common sense and you should be ok.

Match preparation is set to defensive positioning at 40%. Training is set to high and balanced.

Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?f5c3pxt9np7fnyx

Enjoy and let me know if it is any good for you as well. If it works with Stalybridge I assume it should work with bigger teams as well as it's not a defensive tactic.

You've only posted the thumbnails for your images, not the proper pictures.

Haha you're right of course, it's corrected now.

Btw in the tactic screenshot you can see I'm using strikers as WBs. This was the only time I did so. Both my starting WBs were injured and I was playing a weaker opponent so thought I'd give it a go. Been struggling a lot with injuries btw, with 4-5 first teamers out most of the time for the last couple of months.

Got Stalybridge promoted with 2 games to spare. I will upload the screenshots with the results and final league table.

Made a couple of small tweaks after the Christmas period when I lost a couple of matches:

1: Moved the centre back that was set to act as cover up to defensive midfield as an anchor man. I noticed that the opposition were exploiting the gap between my defenders and midfielders, and also winning many second balls.

2: I had made the team play through the middle, but I unticked the box so it's set to mixed now. This is because despite playing with a narrow formation and small pitch size, I noticed that the WBs and the 2 defensive forwards were often having a lot of space down the wings and the ball was hardly ever played in to them.

I see not many people are giving this a go, but taking the tweaks you made and putting the strategy to Attacking from the start I've had really good results with this. Using it mainly as a Home tactic or when chasing a game when away from home, scored 19 in 5 matches, winning them all and looking dangerous. Gotta hope it keeps up for the rest of the season.

That's interesting because my away record with this tactic is brilliant, whereas at home it could be improved. Most people who have tested the tactic on another forum agree. Trying to find the perfect formula for home matches at the moment.

Not that it's bad at home or anything, but I often struggle to break down weaker teams. Got promoted with Stalybridge as champions in the save btw.

Archived