Zonal/Man Marking?

In what circumstances would I want to go completely zonal or completely man marking, instead of leaving it mixed as is default? What are the benefits of each system? I just won promotion to the premiership and need to actually make a good tactic now that I won't have superior players, especially on defense.

In what circumstances would I want to go completely zonal or completely man marking, instead of leaving it mixed as is default? What are the benefits of each system? I just won promotion to the premiership and need to actually make a good tactic now that I won't have superior players, especially on defense.

I prefer zonal, basically, because it's simpler. man mark, against differing formations, you'll need to tweak who marks who all the time. if you've got some players with decent mental attributes (i'm thinking positioning, decisions, teamwork and to a lesser extent workrate) they can carry it off.

i WAS once advised though, if playing a back 4 (as most people are) just have the FBs man marking wingers.

hope that helps, a little.

What is the difference between zonal whit thigt marking vs only zonal marking?

Zonal marking will defer to man marking once an opposition player - without the ball - enters the defender's zone. From here, it is possible to instruct your player to man mark tightly or loosely. More is explained in the [thread=274033]Art of Defending thread[/thread].

i WAS once advised though, if playing a back 4 (as most people are) just have the FBs man marking wingers.

I would say this is a bad idea. Fullbacks who are set to man mark will try to find a man to mark, fairly basic premise. However, this won't be a person further up the pitch, so they are likely to narrow a lot and mark a striker or some such. The tactical creator, by default, sets mixed marking to have the central players man mark, with the wide players zonally mark. This makes more sense and elicits better behavior in the match engine.

Archived