Oldham Athletic (League One) 4-4-2 Tactic

Oldham Athletic (League One) 4-4-2 Tactic

Not been playing long and ideally would love for some of the more regular guys here to help develop this tactic. I designed this with simplicity in mind. With Oldham not having the anything near a good budget (awful is how I would best describe it), it became apparent that I had to use the squad that I had inherited and then hope to utilize the loan market and free transfers to the best of my ability. The Oldham squad has decent balance throughout and some good players mixed with average players at best.

What I have tried to do, is keep my tactic very simple so that the "average" players don't have to think to much and play their way into trouble.

Team Settings:

Philosophy: Rigid

Stratergy: Standard

Passing Style: Default

Creative Freedom: More Disciplined

Closing Down: Default

Tackling: Default

Marking: Zonal

Crossing: Float Crosses

Roaming: Default

Player Roles:

GK - GK/Defend

RB - FB/Attack

CD - LD/Defend

CD - LD/Defend

LB - FB/Support

RM - WG/Attack

CM® - BWM/Defend

CM(L) - CM/Support

LM - WG/Attack

CF® - TM/Attack

CF(L) - Poacher

The idea behind my tactic was to get the ball down and wide as quickly as possible when attacking. For teams I expect to beat I will often use the "Attack Both Flanks" shout as soon as the game starts. I will sometimes also use the "Hit Early Cross" shout, to mix it up a little. Your Target Man and Ball Winning Midfielder (BWM) are probably the 2 key positions in this tactic. Almost all goals scored come through the Target Man (in this instance Shefki Kuqi), either he manages to get on the end of crosses or he manages to tie up 2 or 3 defenders leaving space for the Poacher to work in. The BWM breaks up opposition attacks and rarely gets ahead of the ball. When the oppositions midfield breaks forward he will track the runner and make timely interceptions. The shape of the side is very good and so far with this tactic I have played 7 competitive games without conceding any goals whatsoever. This includes a 1-0 home win's over Everton and Burnley in the League Cup, 2-0 over the much fancied Sheffield Wednesday and a 3-0 away win over rivals Tranmere Rovers. I have racked up a total of 630 minutes competitive football without conceding and 990 minutes if you include friendlies. I have made a few very minor tweaks to the Team Settings. The Defensive Line was dropped 2 notches, everything else increased 1 notch. The Counter Attack button is ticked to Yes. When playing big teams (such as Everton, Burnley), I have employed the "Counter" strategy and once I have felt comfortable in the game employed the "Attack Both Flanks" shout.

I have brought in only a few players. Nobody of any real note (not for the want of trying, mind) and certainly nobody who has broken into my preferred starting 11. My first choice 11 we're already at the club.

I don't expect this unbelievable run of no goals conceded, but I can tell that this is going to be a very tough tactic to break down and score against and as we all know, if you don't concede you cannot possibly lose. My next League Cup game (round 3) is against Hull at home which will be another tough test.

If you would like to test my tactic or possibly have a go at improving it (I doubt it's anywhere near brilliant yet) then you can hopefully find it below.

Enjoy,

Millsy82

p.s. Sorry for not putting up any screenshot's, but my internet connection is pretty terrible in Cyprus and it takes an age to upload. Also if you would like to know anything else at all, then please feel free to ask. Constructive criticism welcome.

http://www.mediafire.com/?00oxoxyjjahq0m5

Also, if anybody could recommend some good (obtainable) League One players or point me in the right direction to a related thread, it would be much appreciated.

Hi mate is this for FM11 or FM12 demo?

Archived