[FM10] "I can show you the world"

weeeman27bob

"I can show you the world"

After at least three failed career threads, I'm on a mission to make this on a success. I'm currently writing something for the FMS forum. This game is intended as a little light relief. I'm playing using the Franchise League by sporadicsmiles. There was never any doubt about which team I'd chose. It'd be the one with Fernando Torres in. So, i'll be managing:

Zagreb Dalmatineri

Although all the teams are based in the UAE, we're quite clearly a Croatian team. Like all the other teams, we've got a huge 80,000 capacity stadium and good facilities. Obviously, the difference comes in the players, so lets met ours:

Keepers:

Two former Premiership stalwarts here in David James and Brad Friedel. My assistant reckons Friedel is better, but I think they're pretty evenly matched. Neither of them will set the world on fire, but they'll do. Replacements will be needed sooner rather than later, as both are 38.

Centre backs:

There are five people in my team who can play in the centre of defence. Skrtel and Ivanovic will probably be my main paring, with backup from Heitinga and Dainelli. If needs be, Toulalan can play at the back too, but if more likely to be a midfielder.

Right backs:

There seem to be far too many player capable of playing at right full back. Maicon is the standout player. Fellow Brazilian Cera will be back up, alongside Heitinga and Ivanovic.

Left backs:

Unlike on the right, we're short of options here. The only player who can play here is Andrea Dossena which is quite worrying. A position to improve on.

Centre Midfield

We've got great strength in depth here. As already mentioned, we have Toulalan but longside him in defensive type roles we can field Frings and Inler. Completing my main midfield quartet is Aquilani, the most attacking of the players.

Wingers

We happen to be quite good here too. We have three Italians, Foggia, Semioli and Balotelli who can both play on either wing. There's also Pedersen for the left wing, and Dossena can also play there. And then there's the small matter of the world's greatest player, Lionel Messi, but I'm not sure if he's any good.

Strikers

Obviously there's the predatory beast which is Fernando Torres. He's backed up by Olic and Balotelli. There's also Falcao, who will be renamed Falcon because it sounds much cooler.. But I'm not sure about him

So a pretty decent squad really, but all the teams are good. I could probably do with another centre back and winger, and I definitely need another left back.

All the top players are already at new clubs, so there's not a hope I can sign them. On the wing, it looks like we'll be brining in Ben Arfa, whilst hopefully we'll get fellow Frenchie Sakho, at some point if we still have the money, to play in the centre. Left back was a bit more tricky, but hopefully Canella will be able to produce the goods if called upon.

Possible line up

GK: James

DL: Dossena

DC: Skrtel

DC: Ivanovic

DR: Macion

DMC: Toulalan

DMC: Inler

AML: Ben Arfa

AMR: Messi

FC: Torres

FC: Olic

I'm not sure what Messi's best role is though, so I'll have an experiment during the friendlies.

And so it begins...

Pfft. You thought this had died. Well you were wrong!

Results

All the games were obviously friendlies at this stage.

Hearts v. Zagreb

A thumping 6-0 victory in our first game got us off to a great start. A first half hattrick from Torres, and further goals from Toulalan, Falcon and Balotelli secured our emphatic win.

Dundee United v. Zagreb

A second 6-0 victory in two games. Braces from Torres and Balotelli were added to by Ivanovic and Dainelli. Early days are suggesting that goals won't be hard to come by.

St. Mirren v. Zagreb

The climax of our Scottish tour saw our worst performance so far. I was expecting another thumping, but we only managed to scrape a 1-0 win. Olic scored our goal early on. We dominated the play, but couldn't score a second.

Loko (Sofia) v. Zagreb

Another game, another 6-0 win. A goal apiece for Torres, Olic, Macion, Messi, Balotelli and Falcon, gave us a comfortable victory. That was more like it.

Wigan v. Zagreb

We conceded our first goal of the season here, but still managed another great win. Falcon scored a wonderful hattrick, with more goals from Messi and Olic to complete our 5-1 win

Reggina v. Zagreb

As suspected we continued to dominate our friendlies. Goals from Canella, Arfa and Balotelli all scored, but Dossena's long shot trumped them all, giving us a casual 4-0 win.

Sporting v. Zagreb

Our final friendly came because of the signing of Canella. We finished our friendlies in fine form, with Torres, Falcon and Semioli cancelling our Bilic's goal.

Player of the month

A tough choice here. Torres and the defence have performed well, but the winner is Mario Balotelli. In two starts and five sub appearances he scored five goals. Not bad for a 19 year old. Hopefully he can carry is form into the proper season.

What I've learnt this month

Goals shouldn't be a problem. We scored 31 of the beauties in pre-season, averaging only four a game.

The defence has only conceded three, so they should be good too.

What I haven't found out this month

What the best role for Messi is. In the centre, behind a lone striker? A little to the right but in the centre? On the right?

Who knows. Hopefully I'll find out soon though.

Whether Balotelli should start on the wing or upfront.

Coming up next: The start of the season!

Archived