Question on strategy to transfer out players

Tele Santana

Hey guys,

I´m not sure if this is the best suited forum, but since it has to do with scouting/transfer, perhaps is due alongside the player/team guide threads...if not I´d apologyze and ask for someone empowered to place it in the right forum.

My question is simple. I always had a hard time on the transfer market. I´ve been able in previous versions of FM to assemble very good teams, but always wondered (actually, had the impression, tbh) that I spent too much acquiring talent and gave away for not that much.

So, now with 10.2 I´m managing a Brazilian powerhouse and feeling pretty good that, amongst a team which had plenty of players surplus to midfield positions, I was able to sell them out and rebuild a long-term strategy and a new squad for the future.

However, as it stands, managing outside of your usual heavyweight financial markets requires at least (imo) one good sell per window, which means being able to earn a real good deal of money in exchange for a talented or high potential player and/or make some transfer outs of reasonable players for that same good ammount of money.

I already decided to follow the second option in the upcoming transfer window, targetting the big European markets, so I intend to sell 3-4 players which have plenty of contract time with me yet and currently fulfill rotation obligations.

I reckon they´d play starters at lower prem sides and perform well on second-tier leagues in Europe, such as Russia, Holland, etc. -most of them are valued in the 3-6 million euros range and have been already scouted and targeted by European teams.

So, my question would be, when is it the right time to acknowledge the market these players are ready to go? Is it the eve of the transfer window for the largest European markets? Is it a bit before?

Also, when a player is wanted by one or several clubs is it best to put him on the transfer list or be aggressive and offer him?

I´m not talking about desperate need for money or to get rid at all costs of problem/underperforming players.

I´d prefer to sell them with good value instead. I am hopeful many people ask themselves the same question.

Masters of the law of offer and demand, your help is wanted. I used my own example, but I don´t recall too much talk about transfer strategies yet on FM10, so actually the hope is to initiate some discussion specific to it.

Cheers to all,

Tele

If there is plenty of interest and you consider it a good time for your club to cash in, then I first offer them out to clubs at what I would consider a 'good' price to see if any come back.

If you transfer list them your likely to get offers which are below your expectations, sometimes though the best thing to do is to wait, do not offer them out or transfer list them. Once the European window is open your likely to get an offer or offers anyway, assuming that player reputation is quite high, in good form etc.

Whenever I manage in Brazil I often find its Italian and Spanish clubs who will first make a move.

Archived