Sharpening a Rusty Blade - Book II

Amaroq

Wednesday, 1st July, 2009.

With the re-opening of the international transfer window, the many deals which clubs had lined up over the preceding five months became official.

For us, the headline news sale was Hungarian striker Sándor Torghelle, who had fetched a price of £1.5M from Czech Republic side Sparta Prague. He'd had a very disappointing conclusion to his time in England, lasting just one season with us, and netting but a solitary goal. What's that about free transfers? You get what you paid for? Well, in this case, we'd amply recouped our investment by selling him along.

Sándor Torghelle, SC, 27: August 2008-June 2009: 1 season, 12 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, 0 MoM, 6.67

Kyle McFadzean had never filled much of a role in my eyes, but the 22-year-old central defender had fetched £950,000, plus a 40% sell-on clause and an agreement to a friendly at Bramall Lane. I thought Aston Villa were crazy for agreeing to those demands: the Englishman had started only one game for me the past two seasons, but he had seen starting action in 145 matches at the League One and Championship level over the past five seasons. In my eyes, it was a lucrative haul for a player who didn't look like ever developing beyond the Championship level.

Kyle McFadzean, DC, 22: June 2003-June 2009: 4 seasons, 83 games, 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 MoM, 6.47

John Melligan joined Bristol City, 18th in the Championship, for a £50,000 fee, of which his former side Cheltenham Town secured £16,000 due to a sell-on fee in my original acquisition of the attacking midfielder. The Irishman had done a fine job in our Championship campaign, but hadn't ever broken into regular usage at the Premier League level, with a loan to Luton in League One being the highlight of his season.

John Melligan, AMC, 27: June 2007-June 2009: 2 seasons, 36 games, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, 7.08

The last paid transfer was Dean Bond, whose £10,000 fee might be nominal to us, but was a lot for tiny Welsh club Connah's Quay. I was flooded with young netminders, and he looked the weakest of the lot. He'd had a reasonable run on loan to Hornchurch in the Conference North, but that was a long way from contributing to a Premier League club, and he was happy at the chance to go to a side where he was more likely to feature.

Dean Bond, GK, 19: June 2007-June 2009: 1 season, 3 games, 1 conceded, 2 clean sheets, 7.33

Long-time Blade Chris Morgan was the most historic of the players departing. He'd been captain of the club and the heart of the defense for four seasons before I arrived, but I'd quickly phased him out of my plans on the basis of his awful passing and first touch; the fact that he looked average in a number of other areas I considered 'key' for a defender hadn't helped him. He hadn't played a minute last year, and couldn't even force his way into Q.P.R.'s lineup on loan; a free transfer was the only solution.

Chris Morgan, DC, 31: July 2003-June 2009: 6 seasons, 192 games, 3 goals, 2 assists, 5 MoM, 6.80

Darren Wrack was the other old-timer whose contract was expiring. He'd been part of the squad as far back as 2005, and though the 33-year-old's role had decreased since I joined the club, he'd been one of the veterans I counted on to help reverse a poor run of form, and he'd played a grueling 57 matches during the promotion campaign from League One. He'd arranged a new contract with Wrexham in League One.

Darren Wrack, D/AM RLC, 33: February 2005-June 2009: 5 seasons, 134 games, 8 goals, 7 assists, 5 MoM, 6.76

Veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper, too, had filled his role, providing an experienced backup for Allan McGregor for one season, and I was happy to see him off the roster with a free transfer to Coventry.

Steve Harper, GK, 34: July 2008-June 2009: 1 season, 6 games, 12 conceded, 2 clean sheets, 6.83.

Chris Sedgwick left without a club in mind. It was painful to let him go, as the club had originally purchased him for £1M four years ago, but he lacked the mental sophistication that I look for in a player, and so he never cracked my first-choice XI.

Chris Sedgwick, AM R, 29: February 2006-June 2009: 4 seasons, 67 games, 7 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoM, 6.70

Aging winger Laurent Robert had never really fit into the side, and I felt lucky that he hadn't become a distraction, dissatisfied with his playing time. I'd originally signed him when it looked like we'd be pushing for promotion from the Championship this year, and he just didn't have the Premier League ability any longer.

Laurent Robert, AM L, 34: July 2008-June 2009: 1 season, 11 games, 0 goals, 6.45

Also leaving on a 'free transfer' was head physiotherapist Tom Mitchell. Once Dennis Pettit's protege, he'd been the head physio for as long as I was at the club - but we'd been unable to agree on salary demands, and he'd decided to part ways amicably.

On the opposite side of the ledger, two players were officially on the Sheffield United books now:

AM LC Bruno Cheyrou, 31, France, uncapped:

42 games, 6 goals, 13 assists, 4 MoM, 7.19 at Bristol (Championship):

A cultured midfielder with 50 goals from 281 matches, Cheyrou was on the decline of age. However, he was still determined, with the long-range accuracy that had made him a force to be feared at his prime. He still had excellent passing, a great first touch, and the creativity to make the players around him better. I'd signed him to a one-year deal, knowing we could always extend it if he forced his way into my starting lineup.

D L Chris McKenzie, 17, Scotland, uncapped:

No appearances:

A product of the Hibs youth system this summer, whom I'd purchased for the meager price of £20,000. He's got a lot of promise, with the strength, pace and stamina I'd like to see from a fullback, good teamwork and the determination and work ethic to succeed. He's much weaker in the defensive areas: his positioning and tackling, especially, need work, and he's prone to bad decisions. Still, there's enough promise there to warrant some time in the U-18's.

In non-Sheffield news, long-time Blackburn keeper Brad Friedel moved to West Ham on a free transfer, after nine seasons at Ewood Park.

Though he'd scored 15 goals for Chelsea last season, Didier Drogba escaped on a Bosman, moving to Sevilla after scoring 40 goals in five seasons for the London club. He wasn't the only big name leaving Stamford Bridge, as Damien Duff was moving to Newcastle after 10 assists last season. It hadn't done enough to repair the damange done in José Mourinho's eyes by his struggles the previous three seasons, and he, too, left without compensation.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday, 2nd July, 2009.

"Listen to this, Stuart. 'I expect manager Ian Richards to rebuild the team around me. Now that the manager possesses a player of my quality, it would make sense to make me the focal point of the team.' What an ego!"

Stuart McCall was laughing at me; I was reading the statements made by new signing Gabriele Mattiussi to the local media.

"First, we were really clear that he was only going to be a backup, right? And he's only on £26,000 p/a, so he knows he's not central to my plans.

"But then, he's a GOALKEEPER! Not exactly the sort of player I want to have be the focal point of the side!"

"Look at it this way," Stuart offered philosophically. "You can tell him he'd better be able to back up his words on the pitch."

GK Gabriele Mattiussi, 20, Italy, uncapped:

no appearances for A.C. Milan (Italy):

I'd signed Mattiussi to replace Steve Harper as the backup goalkeeper. He's got good concentration, and looks solid across the board in most of the other areas I care about - not too eccentric, reasonable positioning and decisions. His reflexes aren't great, and in fact I think that will turn out to be the limiting factor in his career, no matter how much he might improve in other areas.

Friday, 3rd July, 2009.

"I know you were hoping for more in the transfer market," Mister Dooley said, "But I had to appease the shareholders as well as the supporters.

"Maybe this will make it up to you."

He pushed onto my desk a sheaf of papers.

Glancing at it, I barely registered his next words. It was a new contract!

"It won't be official until Wednesday's board meeting, but I wanted you and your agent to have time to review it between now and then."

It was a very generous new contract, a big raise, and laden with incentives: for winning the League Cup, for winning the F.A. Cup, for qualifying for Europe. Some seemed exceedingly unlikely: qualifying for the Champions League? Winning the UEFA Cup?

"Think it over, lad, talk it over with your wife, and let me know."

What was there to think about?

It was clear that it was a long-term commitment from my chairman, and I knew I was going to sign it the minute I read it.

Maybe, just maybe, I'd be in this job long enough to bring a trophy to Bramall Lane!

Archived