Adventure at the The Dandy Dons

SirToby

Aberdeen

Adventure at the The Dandy Dons

1st July 2008

I am new manager in Aberdeen's seat. I convice the board that Aberdeen are ready for title challenge in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League. Chairman Stewart Milne gives a transfer budget of £180.000 and £41.750 of wage budget. The club needs to be cleaned out and I will spend the next days looking through my squad and staff.

16th July 2008

The Brazilian central midfielder Rodrigo Possebon joins the club on loan until the end of the season. Hopefully the 19 year-old will show some of his big potential for the club. As the things stands now, he will only be a backup for the other midfielders.

21st July 2008

Andrew Considine moves to Carlisle for £250.000. The central defender was not a first team player.

22nd July 2008

Striker Tommy Wright will play his season at Inverness on loan. His situation was the as Considine's.

8th August 2008

Following players were available the day before my first match for Aberdeen.

John Bateman

Jamie Langfield

Jonathan Crawford

Jared Hodgkiss (loan)

Lee Mair

Stuart Duff

Zander Diamond

Charlie Mulgrew

Stirling Smith

Andrew Considine

Scott Severin

Mark Kerr

Gary McDonald

Rodrigo Possebon (loan)

Sammy Stewart

Jamie Smith

Sone Aluko

Derek Young

Darren Mackie

Chris Maguire

Lee Miller

Tommy Wright

9th August 2008

With the only signing so far in Rodrigo Possebon we were ready to welcome Inverness at Pittodrie Stadium for my first league game for Aberdeen. Inverness were as espected no big challenge to beat and we deserved our 3-0 win. We controlled the match from start to end with Sone Aluko as the first goalscorer after six minutes, followed by a goal each from Zander Diamond and Lee Miller. A great and convincing start.

v Inverness (h) 3-0 (Aluko 6, Diamond 58, Lee Miller pen 68)

13th August 2008

St. Mirren star striker Jim Hamilton joins us for a fee of £220.000. The 32 year-old striker has great strengths in the air and though the Aberdeen fans are unease at the signing, I believe he will be a decent signing.

15th August 2008

To days after the Hamilton's arrival, defender and midfielder Ryan McGowan joined the Aberdeen army. He is only 19 years old and I am very delighted that we only had to pay £90.000 for the australian, who maybe already now can expect a place in the first team.

A few hours later Scott Severin signed for Sheffield United. He was not going to get first team football and for £350.000 he is now to find in English football.

18th August 2008

Hamilton was set for debut when we met Motherwell away in the second round of the league. Unfortunately, it was not a good debut. Motherwell were nearly as dominating as we were against Inverness and the won with the same number of goals. Though we should have scored, Motherwell deserved their win - but we have to play better to achieve a top three place in the league.

v Motherwell (a) 0-3 (Smith 41, Hughes 45+1, Lasley 73)

23rd August 2008

Although we scored after only 30 second against Rangers in our third league game, it was another unimpressive performance. Rangers managed to score two goals and we did not score more. We did not manage to impress for the second match in row and it has not been the start I have expected. We have to improve for the upcoming matches.

v Rangers (h) 1-2 (Aluko 1 - Novo 30, Lafferty 43)

25th August 2008

Right back David Barron signed for us for a fee of £120.000. Barron is a player who can cross the ball and mark his player and he will go directly into the right back in the line-up.

26th August 2008

Time for the League Cup and a walkover. Morton were no challenge and we deserved to win 4-1. The new man McGowan played his first match for the team - and what a debut. To goals from the 19 year-old.

v Morton (h) 4-1 (McGowan 22, 47, Possebon 38, Diamond 77 - Walker 15)

30th August 2008

With the signings of Hamilton and Barron we have secured two of St. Mirren's best players and the both had the chance to impress against their old team when we took on Love Street in Paisley. With two penalty goals from Miller we secured a 2-1 win but it was not an impressive performance. The players shined in moments but there is still a long way to go.

v St. Mirren (a) 2-1 (Miller pen 52, pen 80 - Dorman 87)

1st September 2008

Our left winger Sone Aluko scoops Young Player of the Month award. With two goals and two assists he has been impressive. In addition to Aluko's award Stuart Duff was chosed to the Team of the Week.

13th September 2008

Three points home against Hamilton were absolutely reguired in the fifth round of Clydesdale Bank Premier League but after 70 minutes ineffective minutes from my boys, Hamilton scored on a long shot - their first shot on target. I was extremely frustrated but luckily we got to goals in the last five minutes. We totally deserved the luck.

v Hamilton (h) 2-1 (McGowan 85, Duff 88 - Offiong 70)

20th September 2008

Another great performance gave a 2-0 win over Dundee United. Hamilton did finally score his first goal and Miller continued his good start of the season with his fourth goal on a fantastic long range shot. With three wins in row we have made a great preparation towards our away match against Celtic.

v Dundee Utd (h) 2-0 (Hamilton 45+1, Miller 71)

24th September 2008

St. Johnstone won the third round of the League Cup against us with a 1-0 win. We were best but St. Johnstone looked to be in best shape. Luckily, the League Cup is not a tourmament that we want to win so badly.

v St. Johnstone (a) 0-1 (Doris 36)

27th September 2008

I thought we did well in this match against Celtic - but the result was a disaster and we lost 5-0. The shot statistic said 21-10 and we had one clear cut chance against Celtic's two. We did not have to lose so big but a way too big number of mistakes destroyed the game for us. In addition to the disappointing defeat, David Barron was sent off with 20 minutes to go.

v Celtic (a) 0-5 (Hartley pen 34, 60, Aiden McGeady 56, 61, Samaras 78)

6th October 2008

We had to get back on the track when Hibernian were guests at Pittodrie Stadium - and we did. It was probably our best performance so far and we could have won bigger than 4-1. Aluko and Mulgrew looked both in fantastic shape with to goals and an assist each. A great, great performance secured the third place with 15 points after eight games. Celtic look like champions already with eight wins and eight clean sheets.

v Hibernian (h) 4-1 (Aluko 47, 60, Mulgrew 57, 67 - Riordan 50)

20th October 2008

We struggle to perform away from home. Falkirk was very close to get all three points and we were fortunate to get a late goal from Darren Mackie and get one point. A point we were satisfied with.

v Falkirk (a) 1-1 (Mackie 90 - Lovell 65)

26th October 2008

I find it very diffuclt to get points away from home and when we met Hearts on Tynecastle Stadium it ended with another defeat. The home team scored three goals from distance and I begin to think that we need another keeper. Jamie Langfield has not been impressive. We lost 4-1 and I do not know what to do away from home.

v Hearts (a) 1-4 (Nadé 33, 50, Jonsson 47, 80)

1st November 2008

Sone Aluko continue to impress and he scoops another Young Player of the Month award while taking the second place in the Player of the Month award, beaten by Celtic's Peter Hartley.

What a disappointment - 1-1 home against Kilmarnock. We controlled the match and had it in our hands. We were leading 1-0 by a goal from Possebon but a shot from Kilmarnock's Fernandez that was not dangerous at all secured Kilmarnock one point. We had the chances to get in front with two goals but another poor performance from our goalkeeper destroyed it.

v Kilmarnock (h) 1-1 (Possebon 32 - Fernandez 69)

November 2008

November began with the disappointing 1-1 result against Kilmarnock. We followed up med three wins and to defeats. We struggled against Dundee United and Rangers (as expected when it is away from home) while we won against St. Mirren, Hibernian and Motherwell. It was away from home against Hibernian why we finally got a victory on away grass.

Jamie Smith claimed a third place in Player of the Month award but Rodrigo Possebon has also performed very well on the midfield. He has just reached his fourth goal of the season.

As said before, I was not satisfied with my goalkeeper Jamie Langfield. He is now sold to PSV for £1.300.000 and the other way is coming St. Mirren keeper Chris Smith for a fee of £500.000. I really hope he will do better. If that happens we have also earned some money. We have also improved our midfield with Birmingham player Damien Johnson. All the transfers will go through the first of January.

Table (16 played)

3rd Hearts || 29-22 || 26 pts

4th Dundee Utd || 27-25 || 26 pts

5th Aberdeen || 27-28 || 26 pts

6th Motherwell || 17-12 || 22 pts

7th Kilmarnock || 21-22 || 19 pts

Topscorer

Lee Miller - 7 goals

Sone Aluko - 4 goals

Rodrigo Possebon - 4 goals

Archived