My "wishlist", as it were (in no particular order):
1) Make rules and CBA's editable. Not only would it allow for more replay-ability (making it harder to get tired of playing, even after years), but it would make it easier to modify for the geeks like me who love to create historical files or other wacky leagues. I suppose it might be unlikely, especially if this becomes a yearly franchise again, as it would make buying the new one each year less necessary, but even just a barebones rule options page would improve it, IMO.
2) Make it an option to name permanent captains and/or to dress 3 assistant captains. I know it was really annoying in EHM07 where I had to name someone captain when Mats Sundin was scratched (preseason or due to injury). Most NHL teams IRL name captains who they don't replace when they're out of the lineup or don't even have a captain in the first place. I find it annoying that we have to name a captain for every game (and, to a lesser extent, not having to name 2 assistant captains like most real leagues do).
3) Would like to have an "add entire page to shortlist" option for when viewing roster pages. It can be incredibly tedious and time-consuming to add a page of 20-40 players to the shortlist one at a time by right clicking and then left clicking, especially when you get confused and lose your spot and have to check back to see who's already added. As an addition to this, the auto-add to shortlist triggers (inquire in trade, invite to training camp, offer a UFA a contract) can also get quite annoying, as most of the time these triggers occur for players who should already be scouted.
4) An option to set training schedules or "triggers" so that players automatically change when certain conditions are met (for example, if a player's condition goes below a certain percentage, place them on "rest", or if a certain attribute reaches a certain level or drops, place them on a corresponding training program). Probably complex, but this isa wishlist.
5) In-game view changes:
a) Make saving individual line tactics an option (as in, save the 1st line only), or at least make it possible to swap an entire line to another line (ie: swap line 1 to line 2).
b) Make it possible to actually bethe coach and change lines on the fly (and, if I'm being extra greedy, create a system where you can give players motivation or pointers on the bench). Would make it more interactive and reduce the frustrations when the coach, whether you have one or not, puts out the line you don't want to be out at a particular time.
c) Probably will happen, but make the player icons in the game more varied. Right now, it looks like there's 3 templates: face to the left side of the rink, the top of the rink or fall down. It makes it look really silly on the faceoffs (is the road team mooning the home team? ) and when the goalie makes a save on the bottom of the screen by turning away from the shooter. The goalie's stick also seems to be placed similarly to a skater's (to his side instead of in front). Obviously this is low priority.
6) In a similar vein to 5b), and as it appears others above me are asking for, the option to match the opponents line manually instead of with the finite preset options.
7) Also I'm sure this is being worked on tirelessly, but adding more leagues will only improve the quality of the game. I, for one, am finding this game less enjoyable than 07 due to the fact that there's only 5 countries to choose from instead of the 8-10 we had with 07. Especially the British and German leagues.
There's more I'm sure I'm forgetting. I'll add if/when I think of them.
PS. Is there an official improvements thread, or is this it?