Playing Away from Home

No matter what i try (which seems to be everything), I can't find a decent way to play away from home. My players appear to want the ball a lot less and never tackle or close down no matter the settings I give them.

I'm not looking for someone to just say "here's my tactic use this", but rather I'm wondering what's different about playing away. From my observations my players passing seems to deteriorate and the opposition appear to always employ a gung-ho mentality.

I've also noticed that it's 4-3-3 with a dm, two cm's,2 wingers and one striker that I come up against despite who I play, whereas I prefer playing a 4-2-3-1 with 2 cm's, 3 amc's and 1 striker as I have had great success with it on all versions of FM and am currently doing fantastic at home with it on 09.

So is it just that my formation comes un-done against the 4-3-3 or is it that there is a tactical 'secret' that needs to be employed when playing away in order to have success? I'm totally lost at the moment as it seems that playing away is infinitely harder than playing at home.

In my opinion both tactics and teamtalks are very important - both home and away. Based on your information I can't really give you a right/wrong answer, but I do think that your formation should work. It's about finding the right thing to change, and yes I know it can be difficult to find out!!

Some months ago I was in your situation and didn't knew what to do. I looked at my tactic and saw that I didn't play with Counter Attack, so I ticked it 'On'. After that I got much better results away from home. But as I mentioned it can be difficult knowing what to change. At the moment I don't use counter attacking style at all and seem to get my best results so far in FM 09 O_o

Well I've tried playing counter attacking but it doesn't seem to work, perhaps the rest of my settings don't suit the counter attacking style of play, well that's almost certainly why actually.

http://rapidshare.com/files/230243591/4-2-3-1_C__Liverpool__Feb_2009_.tac.html

That's the link to my tactic if anyone would kindly look at it and perhaps tell me where it would need altering in order to be effective away from home, as I say it's great at home but I just can't get it working away.

caple10 - you could always have a look at my 4-4-1-1 tactic to see if you can pick any tips up from that.

I've had a lot of success with it on the road and BobMUFC has just reported beating Liverpool at Anfield with Crewe in his second season in the Prem!

I use my Balanced Counter mostly on the road. It's just a more cautious 'balanced' tactic with counter-attacking.

I find that away games require more attention as the AI team can often change its approach several times. Watch on extended and take notes of any changes. It's very important to defend a lead late on and often to be more cautious when you're in front.

Hope some of that helps.

C.

caple10 - you could always have a look at my 4-4-1-1 tactic to see if you can pick any tips up from that.

I've had a lot of success with it on the road and BobMUFC has just reported beating Liverpool at Anfield with Crewe in his second season in the Prem!

I use my Balanced Counter mostly on the road. It's just a more cautious 'balanced' tactic with counter-attacking.

I find that away games require more attention as the AI team can often change its approach several times. Watch on extended and take notes of any changes. It's very important to defend a lead late on and often to be more cautious when you're in front.

Hope some of that helps.

C.

OK, I downloaded your tactic set and went with your balanced counter tactic against West Ham (I'm Liverpool btw, should have said that from the off really). Now I know it's only one game so obviously I can't read to much into everything but anyway, here's what I found.

It was a significant improvement, although i still lost and didn't really boss the game in the manner I feel a top side should.

I'm also unsure what to touch in order to mould it to my side as I don't know what makes it a suitable away tactic. Is it the mentalities, player instructions, creative freedom etc.?

In fact is it possible to boss a game in the top flight away from home? Does anyone have experience of regularly doing this? Because if it isn't then at least I have a rough idea of what's succeeding or not.

How is the team gelling caple10? Before you get to 'good' team gelling, you might find things are a little more difficult.

What talks are you giving away from home and what is the motivation like?

I have found that opposition teams will tend to change their tactics much more when you are away and therefore you need to be really vigilant and be cautious.

I actually used that tactic which you downloaded with Liverpool.

Here is an away result you will enjoy looking at: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7066/manutd12liverpool.jpg

And here is a brilliant away hat-trick in a game I absolutely bossed: http://files.filefront.com/13684706

Both of those achieved using 'balanced counter'.

So it is possible to do really well away. You just have to have a gelled side who are well motivated and watch carefully to see how the opposition are approaching the game.

C.

How is the team gelling caple10? Before you get to 'good' team gelling, you might find things are a little more difficult.

What talks are you giving away from home and what is the motivation like?

I have found that opposition teams will tend to change their tactics much more when you are away and therefore you need to be really vigilant and be cautious.

I actually used that tactic which you downloaded with Liverpool.

Here is an away result you will enjoy looking at: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7066/manutd12liverpool.jpg

And here is a brilliant away hat-trick in a game I absolutely bossed: http://files.filefront.com/13684706

Both of those achieved using 'balanced counter'.

So it is possible to do really well away. You just have to have a gelled side who are well motivated and watch carefully to see how the opposition are approaching the game.

C.

My teams gelling is great and has been throughout tbh, and I've tried everything I can think of with team talks. I generally find none to be the best option at home but away this doesn't appear to work at all. I've also tried having my assistant do team talks, as well as trying myself but don't see a massive difference which is why I've decided it's a tactical issue.

I'll watch the pkm tomorrow as it's late, but I was wondering just how regularly you do boss away games? Do you often play better than the other team or do you see away games as more of giving up possession in order to just counter?

I'll watch the pkm tomorrow as it's late, but I was wondering just how regularly you do boss away games? Do you often play better than the other team or do you see away games as more of giving up possession in order to just counter?

Depends what team.

With Liverpool, I tend to boss the majority of my away games, apart from against the top four.

For team talks, try to have a look at WWFan's post somewhere around here which elucidates the different options. It's really good. :thup:

C.

Depends what team.

With Liverpool, I tend to boss the majority of my away games, apart from against the top four.

For team talks, try to have a look at WWFan's post somewhere around here which elucidates the different options. It's really good. :thup:

C.

When you say that you boss the away games, do you find yourself sitting back and limiting their options then hitting them on the counter, or do you tend to keep the ball in their half and play more possession football?

I know that the name 'balanced counter' suggests the former, but again I was wondering if it was possible to regularly boss away games in the manner that you might home games.

Archived