Misplacing too many easy passes

Watch a match in full to see whos misplacing the passes, and how they are being misplaced. Check in match stats to see which players have the lowest pass completion. It may be that too many midfielders are on FWD runs often, which means they run too far ahead of the play. Do you have target man ticked ? They might be trying to play too many hopefull balls to a target man that are easily intercepted. It may also be that your defence are passing the ball amongst each other, until they are pressured by opposition forwards and play a rushed pass that is often wayward.

Those are the main reasons iv often seen, but you'll have to watch the match yourself to see who it is and why.

Deejay.How do you stop the defenders (especially the centre backs) from giving the ball away so easily?I watch the match and they do a 360 turn and then either pass it back to the keeper or hoof it up field.They have options of the DMC or full backs to pass to, but they don't.

Yeah, I watch the match, but none of those things are the case. The only thing I can think of is the through balls I have set on 3 of my 4 midfielders(two MCs and AM). But the through balls are part of the style of play I want to accomplish.

@josha...put your defenders on higher passing, and increase their creative freedom to mixed, works for me usually. Passing down both flanks means the DC's often pass it out wide to the full backs, and try having a defensive midfielder dropping short to pick up the ball from them. I have gone as far as putting my defenders on direct passing, and setting one of my DC's as a playmaker to stop them repeatedly passing back to the keeper, and it worked really well.

It all depends on your formation too, and how your looking too play (e.g tempo, width etc)

@Obina...having your midfielders on through balls often is not the only thing you need to work that style of play. Do you have pacy strikers capable of breaching the offside trap, and getting onto the end of your through balls. Is your tempo too high that the midfielders are playing rushed passes/too low that the strikers are quickly marked so the through balls are quickly intercepted ?

Is your defensive line too pushed up, causing the opposition to push back, so there is not much space to exploit behind their defensive line ? Do you have midfielders capable of playing through balls often ? Do you have them on global or individual passing, if so what are their individual passing and creative freedom settings ?

Iv found a lot of settings need to be in cohesion to get a certain style of play going, and every notch on the slider effects others.

Archived