Need help away from home...

Hi Guys

Quick bit of background, Ive played FM(+CM) since the amiga days, am an avid reader of the tactics forum, have read TTF09 and am enjoying this tactical battle I am entrenched in. I am into my second game, the real career after a quick forray into the game with Leeds in which I experimented with tactics and tryed to feel out the engine. It was a quite disappointing season, no notable cup run, and a loss in the playoff final.

The problem with the season was my woeful away form. Games I should have won I was loosing, I couldnt even draw with any great consistency.

I am now into my brand new career with Havant and Waterlooville, and Although my team is tripe, I have made them into a decent outfit at home, playing great football and winning games we should win quite regularly.

i am using a standard mentality (but modded) Rule of One (martin o neil esque) and am very happy with it, at home. The same tactic away just doesnt work the same consistently.

Now having the leeds season go the same way I had already tryed to plug the leaks and get results away, adopting a more defensive counter attacking approach and have tried this at havant too, to little avail.

Im still conceding scrappy goals and not creating chances, and it doesnt seem to matter how defensive I am, how much im closing down, and what the odds are, Ive been a big favourite and played attacking football and lost, a big favourite played defensively and lost, you name the combinations, ive tried it.

And I dont blame the engine, or the game, Im aware and can feel that its my tactical prowes that is letting me down. Hence I am asking for a little help, I dont want tactics to download etc, just some discussion about how i should be thinking to make my tactics better, and to make my away performances better. What areas should I focus on and how should I adapt my great home tactic to work away.

Just to finish, I saw the part in TTF09 scope section to look up pages 27-33 if your playing well at home and poorly away, but having gone over that section theres nothing specific, just the standard, defensive and attacking setups, and when to use them.

Any input would be gratefully received

Archived