How do i play against this tactic?

Hi all,

I am playing against my friend on fantasy draft. How do I play against this tactic? I noticed that he have many wide players on high acceleration. Do i need to match my players on high acceleration as well? I tried containment and pressing, fast transition and complex style both and  got beaten well. Thanks in advanced.

image.png.c64d7823a18639bc3821c2be44859940.png

Edited by padlee

33 minutes ago, padlee said:

Hi all,

I am playing against my friend on fantasy draft. How do I play against this tactic? I noticed that he have many wide players on high acceleration. Do i need to match my players on high acceleration as well? I tried containment and pressing, fast transition and complex style both and  got beaten well. Thanks in advanced.

image.png.c64d7823a18639bc3821c2be44859940.png

Attack the wingbacks running to the byline. Both sides, but in particular the left, are exposed in transition.

17 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Attack the wingbacks running to the byline. Both sides, but in particular the left, are exposed in transition.

Hi thank you i read you replies on other threads in particular how to soak up pressure.  Any comments on this set up?

image.png.4aa1727e72ce966e3d5c6addfe728f57.png

1 hour ago, padlee said:

Hi thank you i read you replies on other threads in particular how to soak up pressure.  Any comments on this set up?

image.png.4aa1727e72ce966e3d5c6addfe728f57.png

I think the underlying issue is that his squad is a lot stronger than yours in most positions.

To contest w/ a much stronger opponent: I'd go fairly narrow, up the tempo,  two wingback (d)'s, move to a more traditional midfield 3 with Bruno as a regista (where he'll act as a ball magnet and launch line breaking passes). This will address the issue of very few players being able to progress the ball in your defensive third to the isolated frontline. Distribute the ball straight to Bruno. You can use the conservative midfield profiles you have to screen Bruno effectively and contest the middle of the park. 

That will help you get the ball to the attacking fontline a bit more. I would strongly recommend getting a different profile strike, I've struggled with a solo tf on the break in a 4-3-3. I experimented with a TF(s) + W(a) + Ramdeuter w/traits to run in behind but it's high maintenance and requires an exceptional Ramdeuter. That being said, Politano isn't a bad fit so you could give that a go if you keep the TF.

I'd want to bring in someone who can lead the line and serve as a focal point to the off footed winger's on attack as a main goalscoring threat. Height + Speed + off the ball are the big three. Your frontline is pretty slow overall and injecting some real pace will help. It's going to be very difficult to break against a team who have Tchouameni + Neves as a double pivot and a backline quicker than your frontline. 

The other real possibility  I'd think about w/no changes to the squad would be running Politano as an AF next to the TF (where the TF is in the center and the AF is slightly off to the side). This will leave you a bit exposed and is asymmetrical but will put him right in position to attack the channel between the exposed WB(a) and CB. That give's you some real goal threat out of possession and keep the route 1 knock down to the TF. This last option would probably be my preferred approach to take on the formation above w/your current squad.

• You could run a Regista as a 6 + BWM(s) + CAR as 8's (CAR on the side to cover the space exposed by the AF).

You'll still be up against it against that opposition (get that morale up before the match :))! But that should address some of the key transition/goalscoring issues and focuses around building to your best player's strengths. 

Hope that works for you & glad the Counter Attacking Thread was helpful.

Edited by Cloud9

56 minutes ago, padlee said:

Is this okay? I have both Vinicius and Giroud to close down more. Should i turn Giroud to Target man instead?

So the real strength of a 4-4-2 are the two defensive lines. I would focus on the tactic being primarily defensively responsible out of possession as to able to handle an assault w/ positional play. This is especially important in a 4-4-2 midblock as the front two, even w close down more, are a bit separated from the defensive unit. 

I'd consider a couple changes:

• Passing direct, supports the TF/AF combo well (TF suits Giroud well).
  • Using WM or DW out wide instead of the more attacking IW(who will cut inside and leave you exposed). These will give you players who can contest out wide which fits with your trap outside TI.
  • Drop Pivot back to the DM strata. They will contest headers better (again trap outside), and I personally prefer an SV (a defensive BBM) + a DM(s).
  • Consider a high defensive line with the speed in your backline if the opposition doesn't have pace to punish you.
  • Dropping the WB(s). This role will sit wider and will leave gaps (like the IW) that can be exploited. A switch to a role that will sit narrow like a fullback (a) will give you a forward threat without being as much of a weak spot. 
  • Consider removing run at defence. I prefer to tell specific players to do this through roles, TIs.

W/a tactic like this w/out a clear playmaker, tinkering with the passing meters in the PIs can be a real help in efficiently progressing the ball when you do win it back. 

Edited by Cloud9