SEAN DYCHE'S MASTERCLASS EVERTON 3 TACTICS SEASON 2023-2024

SEAN DYCHE’S EVERTON 2023-2024 TACTICS

Everton recently received a substantial 10-point deduction for violating Premier League financial rules, pushing them to 19th place.
Despite the historical challenges of surviving relegation after such a deduction, Everton achieved this feat in 1994-95 with four or fewer points after matchday 12.
Sean Dyche, often criticized for his perceived negative football, has adopted a 4-4-1-1 formation this season, emphasizing defensive solidity and quick counter-attacks.
Everton's defensive statistics are notable, conceding only 13.5 non-penalty expected goals, the fourth lowest in the league, and registering fewer shots on target against them than Manchester City and Arsenal.
While struggling to convert expected goals into actual goals, Everton's reliance on set pieces, with 30% of goals coming from them, remains a consistent strength crucial for overcoming the point deficit and securing their Premier League status.

HOW TO EMULATE THIS TACTIC IN FOOTBALL MANAGER 2024

Through the analysis of recent Everton matches, we can see that Dyche alternatively used a four-two-three-one and a four-four- one-one formations. 
That’s why I emulated both formations in my season with Everton.
As always, I did not do any transfer both in the summer 2023 player transfer session (I blocked it in the pre-game settings) and in the winter 2024 (January 2024) session. That means, the squad is the same at the beginning of the game (July 2023) and at the end (June 2024). 
Let’s now analyze the two tactics I created. The team instructions are the same for both tactics and I nearly did not add any single player instruction. Compared to the four-four-one-one version, in the four-two-three-one version I just moved the two central midfielders down (in front of the defense) and the two wingers higher. Besides, Doucoure’s role is always an attacking midfielder, but you could even let him play as a central midfielder in attack in the middle, creating a four-three-two-one with a three midfielder line. 

First version: four-four-one-one

Team instructions

-Balanced mentality: I prefer to start with this mentality especially when I am not the stronger side, and then I can switch to a more defensive or more attacking mentality according to how the game goes. If you are sure your team is much stronger than the opponent you can even choose to start the game with a positive mentality.

In possession

-Attacking width: fairly narrow: this gives more room to our players to decide, - - Slightly more direct passing (just slightly, we don’t want our players to try too risky passes): remember that direct pass does not necessarily mean “long ball” but also vertical pass, through and quick pass. 
-Slightly higher tempo: this helps to launch fast counter-attacks.
-Play for set pieces: in the Everton squad we have several players who are very good at heading and are very physical, so we can exploit that by searching to get set pieces. 
- Be more disciplined: this instruction ask our players to stick to the tactic plan, if you have a team with not many technical players, you would like to use this instruction.
- Mixed crosses: actually it depends on what type of forward you have, you can choose whipped crosses if you have a tall and very physical player, With Calvert Lewin for example I use floated crosses more.
- Hit early crosses: Dyche prefers to create chances through crosses in the box rather than shorter passing. 

In transition

Counter: Everton wants to launch counter-attacks once won the ball back
Goalkeeper Instructions: none, I let Pickford decide how to distribute the ball according to the situation

Out of possession

Mid-block: Dyche prefers not to press to high to avoid that if the opponent overcomes Everton’s first pressing line, there will be too much space between that line and the defense line, space that the opponent can exploit launching fast counter-attacks and playing long-balls
Standard defensive line: for the same reason, Everton’s defensive line is not high. 
Trap outside: force the opponent to play the ball hugging the touchline, this gives the opponent less options to dribble or pass. 
Standard trigger press: Everton does not press intensively to avoid counter-attacks
Stop crosses
Get stuck in: if you see you are getting too many yellow and red cards please remove this instruction

Player roles (I didn’t add any player personal instructions, but you can try to add some according to your players)

Pickford; sweeper-keeper-support
Patterson: full-back-support 
Tarkowski: central defender-defend
Brainthwaite: central defender- defend
Mykolenko: full-back-support 
Harrison: inverted winger-support
Gueye: ball-winning midfielder-defend
Onana: box to box midfielder-support
Mc Neil: winger-support
Doucouré: attacking midfielder-support
Beto: complete forward- attack 

For Calvert-Lewin, maybe a target forward role would be the best, because he is very physical and good at heading. 

Second version: four-two-three-one

Player roles changed

Gueye: ball-winning midfielder-defend but this time he drops down in front of the defense. 
Onana: volante-support he also drops down in front of the defense. 

Third version: more defensive four-five-one
I just dropped Doucoure (the attacking midfielder) into a central midfielder (with an attack duty). 
This is all for this tactic, I hope it works for you too. 

CLASSIFICA EPL.png

COMPETIZIONI.png

IN POSSESSION.png

IN TRANSITION.png

SEAN DYCHE'S EVERTON 4-5-1 DEFENSIVE SEASON 2023-2024.fmf SEAN DYCHE'S EVERTON 4-2-3-1 SEASON 2023-2024.fmf SEAN DYCHE'S EVERTON 4411 SEASON 2023-24.fmf