Attacking Width & Approach Play

I have some questions about some team instructions in the game.

1. I would like someone who knows exactly what attacking width ( narrow/wide ) means in relation to how my team plays. For example, if I set my team to play narrow does this mean that my players will simply have closer spacing, pass more in the middle or both? The example also applies to wide attacking width.
  2. Does the Focus Play Left/Middle/Right team instruction mean exactly the same as attacking width, assuming that attacking width means my players pass more in that direction or something else?
  3. When does each team instruction come into play? In the buildup phase or in the attacking third?

Happy FMing everyone :)

Edited by dzek

On 24/10/2023 at 01:03, dzek said:

1. I would like someone who knows exactly what attacking width ( narrow/wide ) means in relation to how my team plays. For example, if I set my team to play narrow does this mean that my players will simply have closer spacing, pass more in the middle or both? The example also applies to wide attacking width.
  2. Does the Focus Play Left/Middle/Right team instruction mean exactly the same as attacking width, assuming that attacking width means my players pass more in that direction or something else?
  3. When does each team instruction come into play? In the buildup phase or in the attacking third?

Width effects the positioning of the players when in possession in both build up phase and final third. Wider width, more spaced apart.

Focus play effects build up. Players in that zone are more attack minded and will often receive the ball more during the build up phase.

On 23/10/2023 at 17:03, dzek said:

Width is one of the more confusing parts of the game to get the hang of I think.

• If you are running a pressing system of any kind (attacking or defensive), you'll want a more narrow width as the compact  nature will help you execute your plan. The natural width of the formation then needs to be provided by roles instead, such as wingbacks or wingers. A wide formation helps utilize speed of the wide players or to help pull apart an opposition deep sitting defensive system for underlapping runs. Those insiders runners (SV, CM(a) etc). will really benefit from stretching the pitch, you're also not as reliant on the roles to provide that natural width.
  • Some examples: A narrow defensive system is Simeone's Athletico Madrid, a narrow attacking narrow system is Liverpool under Klop, a wide attacking system is Pep's Man City, and a wide defensive system is a full strength Brentford. 
  • Playing around with a narrow vs wide 4-4-2 can be a good formation for seeing how width impacts how your team plays on the pitch. 

In FM no two Tis will do exactly the same thing. It directs play down that area of the pitch and is a very effective, if tiring, match change that you can make. 

The TIs mostly aren't specific to build up or attacking third (although some are, like Play Out from the Back) but just increase the tendency for your players to do things.

Edited by Cloud9