[FM23] I’m not lost. I’m exploring...

Ghost Into Space

We are coming to that time of the year when the buzz for the next version of Football Manager is starting to build and we are eagerly awaiting any news from Sports Interactive about everything that will be in the new game. Therefore, I think it’s time to start one more save on FM23 before FM24 comes out in the not too distant future. Like a lot of other people, I have done a ton of different saves on this years' Football Manager - Some extremely enjoyable and some not so much. The one thing I haven’t done yet on this particular version of the game is start a save unemployed so that is what we shall be doing today.

Despite wanting to do this for a long time, I have never actually posted about one of my FM saves on here before so be kind...

Edited by Ghost Into Space

As mentioned, I will be starting this particular save off unemployed. With it being towards the end of the cycle for this particular FM, I’ve decided to start with a Continental Pro Licence and a National reputation instead of having to start from the very bottom.

There are quite a few available jobs at the start of the save but there are 5 in particular that I have my eye on:

fm23_availablejobs.thumb.png.f66b2deb63a149f17ee70eed65d0689b.png

fm23_appliedjobs.thumb.png.4f1c3b52a404c19c2608f0cc3be7b223.png

As you can see, the 5 jobs that I have applied for are:

𝐀𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐧 𝐕𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚
𝐁𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡
𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐬
𝐀𝐮𝐱𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞
𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐞 𝟎𝟒

All of these clubs will interesting in their own little way I think but I’m not expecting many interview opportunities back - Potentially two?

As predicted, two unsuccessful job applications have come back and no surprise which clubs they were from. Both of these were incredibly ambitious applications given each clubs' reputation but it was always worth a shot.

fm23_astonvilla_unsuccessful.thumb.png.6ff60b68e7cfb9540a16b1955078f911.png

fm23_schalke_unsuccessful.thumb.png.16a6b81645bc863a5b097e96f6839ccb.png

Saying that, these two probably would have both been the least enjoyable saves so maybe it is a blessing in disguise…

However, as you maybe have guessed, that means three interview opportunities came have up from the remaining applications so let’s see how these go. I am quite surprised I got an interview for Santos to be honest as their reputation is the same as Aston Villa’s reputation. They were the third club I thought would turn me away. Bournemouth also surprise me a little bit just because they are a Premier League side but with their media prediction, maybe they're willing to give me a chance?

As mentioned, each club seems to have their own little story that could be told here:

𝐁𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡

Predicted to finish 20th in the Premier League this season, things are clearly going to be a struggle. The club are also in the process of finding new owners which could potentially mean we might get incredibly rich (this happened to Bournemouth on another save in FM23). We might also get an owner who doesn't want to put any money into the club at all...

fm23_bournemouth_interview.thumb.png.14d364d28fd86bd4554660072094f530.png

𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐬

It seems they’ve had a pretty awful time to start the season and find themselves down in 15th place and facing relegation despite being predicted to finish around 9th. Morale isn’t doing great either. However, they have an abundance of exciting youth prospects and they have a desire to produce the best youth system in the country - That's always a fun objective to aim for. It’s also been a while since I have managed a Brazilian club.

fm23_santos_interview.thumb.png.d198edae7e4fffd37ac021b99fe37024.png

𝐀𝐮𝐱𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐞

The other team we have an interview for is Auxerre. Newly promoted to the top tier of French football, keeping them in that division will be a tough ask. Again though, another team who have a desire to produce the best youth system in the country. The real threat of relegation (just like the real 2022/23 season) whilst trying to develop youth prospects could be an intriguing challenge.

fm23_auxerre_interview.thumb.png.69c93742eb9723436d8052a56ca2c90d.png

First things first, I've got to actually get offered a job before I can make a decision!

A decision has been made.

I have turned down the job at Bournemouth and accepted the job at 𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐬.

So many brilliant youth prospects at the club already and with a club vision objective in place to develop the best youth academy in the country, it was hard to say no. As I said, it's been a while since I have managed in Brazil as well and because the season is already underway, we can get things started incredibly fast.

Santos are one of the most successful clubs in the Brasileirão, becoming national champions on eight occasions. It has also won 22 Paulistãos, three Copa Libertadores, two Intercontinental Cups, one Supercopa de Campeones Intercontinentales, one Copa CONMEBOL (the precursor of current Copa Sudamericana), one Copa do Brasil, and one Recopa Sudamericana.

fm23_santos_cluboverview.thumb.png.3f2c99e5bea8905949f719585120b391.png

fm23_santos_clubinfo.thumb.png.8a5d2be4b0907dab0cecc1149cde87d1.png

Fun fact: On 20 January 1998, Santos became the first team in football history to pass the 10,000-goal mark.

As mentioned, they’ve had a pretty bad start to the season and find themselves in 15th place (media prediction of 9th place). Level on points with one of the teams in the relegation zone but there are lots of games left in the season to turn this around so there are some positives. It looks like it could well be tight around the middle of that table so GD is also going to be key here - We need to get scoring some goals.

fm23_santos_leaguetable2022_start.png.52707ed28a190982b98f4d17570ba342.png

fm23_santos_2022seasonpreview.png.97bb993ebc1d65e575179a990373595d.png

Despite the gloomy looking table position, the immediate run of results actually seem fairly positive. We don't seem to have gained points on the teams around us though and it seems like we have been drawing lots of matches. We’re still in some cups including the Copa Sudamericana which I would really like to win. Other cup success would be nice too but I would enjoy winning that one.

fm23_santos_2022fixturesresults_start.thumb.png.77b1180c45ea1dc27e7734b2898ed6fa.png

After doing a little bit of tidying up, this is the first team squad:

fm23_santos_squadview_start.thumb.png.a6f2096b6b252ec3dae0c72724a9382e.png

Lots of exciting youth players as previously mentioned and it seems that the tactic I created for other saves fits this team really nicely so I am going to use that to start with and see how the results turn out.

fm23_santos_firsttactic.thumb.png.faaf104622965121af729453847d558a.png

Here are a few of the aforementioned talented youth players that are already at the club:

𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐚𝐬 𝐏𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬

An exciting, attacking left back who can also comfortably play in the wing positions (including right wing interestingly enough). Not the fastest and has some questionable defensive attributes but he seems good technically. We will need a little cover on his side of the pitch I think but he should be a threat going forward

fm23_santos_lucaspires.thumb.png.bb7fc3a5b7b330e636f0718bbd5412e9.png

𝐒𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐲

Next up we have Sandry; a good all-round midfielder looking at his attributes. He can do a bit of everything and his versatility off the bench (to start with) should help with the current formation that is being used. Plenty of room to develop and seems to have performed pretty well in the Paulistão Série A at the start of the season

fm23_santos_sandry.thumb.png.fc3cd63698b745441283d141580ccfaa.png

𝐋𝐮𝐜𝐚𝐬 𝐁𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐬𝐚

Again, like Lucas Pires, not an overly quick player but he has some decent technical qualities about him. He’s a winger who likes to cut in and again, is perfect for the tactic that is being used. He won’t be a starter at the moment but should be useful coming off the bench and making an impact late in games

fm23_santos_lucasbarbosa.thumb.png.d2180485465e15578625cd3184629d6f.png

𝐀̂𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥𝐨

I imagine a lot of you will recognise this guy's name as he has been a 'go-to signing' for a quite a few people and most recently, was actually signed by Chelsea this summer (loaned out to RC Strasbourg if I remember correctly). He will be our starting right winger despite only being 17 years old. He is quicker and more technically gifted than Lucas Barbosa with a much higher ceiling; this kid is going to be exciting

fm23_santos_angelo.thumb.png.905c6ddb3455766e74f5ddfa6a8bd63c.png

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐨𝐬 𝐋𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐨

Here is our starting striker. Good finishing  to go alongside good mental and physical attributes too. He’s already scored 15 goals this season (9 in 14 starts in the Paulistão Série A and 3 in 6 starts in the Copa Sudamericana) but hasn’t been playing much in the league it seems. I’m going to change that though and get this guy starting on a regular basis

fm23_santos_marcosleonardo.thumb.png.3ef24929bedcd8b6df2dd27a7fed164f.png

𝐏𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢

The first player shown who is currently playing for the U20 side. Someone who, again, has great technical attributes at quite a young age. He could really develop nicely into a good playmaker down the line but probably won't see first team action this year

fm23_santos_patati.thumb.png.c8bc7c56d7a157dca3a804643fa07f9f.png

𝐃𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝 𝐖𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧

Another young Brazilian who was signed by Chelsea from Santos this summer (Unlike Ângelo, I think he actually stayed at the club if I remember rightly). Still has some developing to do but again, at 17 years old, he has a high ceiling and could become a clinical striker in the future

fm23_santos_deividwashington.thumb.png.5e2ae23e94aba0bb2e7f90f4a6459953.png

𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐂𝐞𝐳𝐚𝐫

Finally, the ‘hot prospect’ according to the club information page. 16 years old and valued upwards of around £10M. He’s certainly got some good attributes already (including his finishing) and a great personality - This guy could be really special. He is currently on a youth contract but it seems the club are already in negotiations with him to sign a professional contract

fm23_santos_rodrigocezar.thumb.png.0d4e75be2fe915b56e65b04374f5d4c6.png

33 minutes ago, willemvandoorn15 said:

Good luck at santos, i think youre gonna be cruising to victory. im eager to see how you get on. Have a nice weekend.

Thank you very much! I certainly see them as a stepping stone for this save but it would be nice to bring through some Brazilian talent to take with me around the World on this journey.

Here are the expectations for the remainder of the season and how the current competitions stack up:

fm23_santos_2022boardexpectations.thumb.png.31f032f1fdeddf32929b334f4b188da0.png

fm23_santos_competitionoverview_start.thumb.png.0e79e9b600d8aa099d16ab4b30253295.png

As previously said, it turns out we did pretty well in the Paulistão Série A at the beginning of this year so there is potential in this squad to do something.

We don’t actually have much time to prepare the squad as my first match in charge of the club is the same day as signing my contract and, well, it couldn’t be a bigger match. We have our rivals, Palmeiras, away. They currently sit in 5th place after losing only 1 match so far this season - This is going to be interesting.

Note - The first transfer window is disabled so despite the transfer window about to open for the Brazilian league, there will no changes to the squad just yet.

First game. First win.

And what a game it was as well. We went behind twice in the first half but managed to go in at half time level. The second half just seemed to be floating by and not many chances were being created by either team so we changed formation in the last 5 minutes and went for it. It could have turned out really badly as we did get a little overloaded after changing formation but it just felt like the right thing to do.

fm23_santos_match001.thumb.png.7974bfe0f3ca032e7a0b312cd04a0cc3.png

fm23_santos_secondtactic.thumb.png.9c1262441d24297558f670f1198782d6.png

The winner came from some lovey build up play in the 93rd minute when substitute, Bryan Angulo, was left with a tap in at the far post for the winner. We nearly lost the ball halfway through the build-up but managed to snatch it back quickly with the extra man I pushed into midfield and keep the attack moving. Couldn’t have asked for a better start - An away win at a rival with a last minute goal.

Our next two matches are against 20th and 19th in the league so a really good opportunity for us to build on our first victory and get an early 3 wins on the board before we play our next cup game.

The next 2 matches went pretty much as expected. We had a straight forward win over bottom side Avaí (helped with them going down to NINE men just before half time - it would have been nice to grab a couple more goals) however it look a later Luan freekick to take all the points against Atlético Goianiense.

fm23_santos_match002.thumb.png.3738d4f4cae988c8b7f596de968c2652.png

fm23_santos_match003.thumb.png.33d2b87ae186cd00d2a0e3fee2434467.png

Three wins from three games to start my Santos career - Can’t really ask for more than that.

Next up is the 4th round of the Copa do Brasil against second division Náutico so it should, in theory, be a routine victory. I think there will be some team rotation for this one to keep things fresh as we have a LOT of fixtures in a short amount of time. It's a pretty packed schedule...

So it seems we rotated the team too much in the cup game and, well, we got punished. To be fair, they dominated the match and went ahead before we equalised. They scored again with just 5 minutes to go and we couldn’t find a way back. We didn't really deserve to progress as the team just didn't perform anywhere near the levels they have reached during the first 3 games under my management.

Screenshot2023-09-07114953.thumb.png.af792d622892a334636a4d0cf196bb79.png

That particular cup run is over…

Next up we are away to high-flying Botafogo in the league to end the month of July and bring my first 5 games in charge to an end. Hopefully we can grab at least a point and end the month unbeaten in the league, putting the disappointment of the cup behind us.

However, before that game kicks off, this player development message dropped into my inbox. We’ll take second place for the moment but this is one of the main objectives that the board want us to be working towards and taking that number one spot. São Paulo - We’re coming for you!

Screenshot2023-09-07105146.thumb.png.61302ee53b5b99b7f340592bb02346a1.png

Another big game and another big (ish) result. We ended up drawing against Botafogo but in all honesty, we really could (and probably should) have won the match and taken all the points. We certainly had the better chances but we just didn’t quite have clinical enough finishing.

Screenshot2023-09-07121402.thumb.png.0ceb2f92e43bdd1708909796416acade.png

It's a positive result in my eyes and shows that there certainly is potential in this team. We just need to get a good run of results behind us and build some momentum.

That brings the month of July and the first 5 games of my time at Santos to an end. We’re unbeaten in the league and have moved up from 15th to 11th creating a nice little gap between us and the relegation places (and we now have a positive goal difference which should help moving forward given how tight the table currently is around that central section(. We should be aiming higher than that though.

Screenshot2023-09-07161803.png.1e8a9b15fac24e66b2c873e57394f635.png

We had a BIG win against Palmeiras followed by some solid results against teams around the bottom which has helped build that gap. Quite disappointed about being knocked out of the cup but happy with our performance away at Botafogo. Just wish we could have pinched a goal in the game and come away with another win.

Screenshot2023-09-07121419.thumb.png.42cf58febbf89dd058784be28d42ac65.png

August is a big month with a packed fixture list including our quarter final matches in the Copa Sudamericana. Hopefully we can progress in this last remaining cup competition and give us a chance at some silverware in this first season.

We kicked off August with our Copa Sudamericana quarter final match against Cerro Porteño. I can’t say I’d heard of this team before but the bookmakers had made us comfortable favourites. The first leg was away but we made some changes to the squad and well… I should have learnt my lesson from last time.

Screenshot2023-09-07221333.thumb.png.ea830810f922669ea3a1b10049f1216e.png

It was yet another match where we dominated with chances on goal but we just weren’t clinical enough. This has happened a few times now and especially with Marcos Leonardo who seems very much hot or cold in front of goal. If he scores in a game, he’ll get 2 or 3 but then he’ll go a few games without scoring. This needs to change.

Being down 1-0 on aggregate isn't great but it's also not the end of the world. We are at home in the next leg and we very much controlled this match. We should still be optimistic about getting through the tie but I won't be taking any chances with the starting line up in the next match...

Next up was Cuiabá in the league. Despite being below us in the table (in the relegation zone actually), they were coming off the back of a 6-0 win and they carried confidence into this game as they went 1-0 up after just 10 minutes. However, two goals in the second half gave us the win and our unbeaten run in the league continues.

Screenshot2023-09-08143415.thumb.png.f4c2567da7838d3270128d8d46b27b79.png

We were straight back into cup action and the second leg (at home) against Cerro Porteño was up next. Just like the first leg, we dominated the game. However, it felt like it just wasn’t going to be our day as we had 3 goals disallowed for offside. We did get an early goal and managed to get the crucial second goal (to put us 2-1 up on aggregate) just before half time which swung the momentum of the tie in our favour.

Then, with 15 minutes to go, they pulled a goal back and that brought us level on aggregate. Extra time came and went without many highlights and we went to penalties - How exciting. Thankfully, we were perfect from the spot and won the tie in sudden death.

Screenshot2023-09-08150657.thumb.png.ae3302b9a56d94759fae2c8385c5767f.png

We shouldn't have put ourselves in this situation and made the tie a lot harder than it really needed to be but the team still managed to find a way through the tie. Into the semi finals we go!

Beating Cerro Porteño has prompted the board to let me know that we have actually passed one of the objectives for this season - Great news!

Screenshot2023-09-12105915.thumb.png.6382d833c917a8dcf4d57457cc82957e.png

We now have a brief run of games in the league so it’s a perfect opportunity to get moving up the table. First up we have Ceará who are down in 17th place. We started the game so well, went 2 goals up and then threw it away just before half time. Thankfully, we started the second half just as well as the first and regained our advantage. This time, we were better defensively in the second half which allowed us to hold onto the win and pick up all of the points.

Screenshot2023-09-12113618.thumb.png.b666c835b69cda9b18d364e59f8274d7.png

Next up, the San-São derby - Away to the team who are storming the league so far...

São Paulo had been having a great season so far and were top of the table by 5 points already. Going away to them wasn’t going to be an easy task but we turned up in our previous rival match against Palmeiras and I was hoping we could cause yet another upset.

And quite honestly, we should have won the match. We started so well and had some brilliant chances before they went ahead against the run of play. Our perseverance paid off and we equalised just before half time. However, the second half came and went but neither team could find a winner.

Screenshot2023-09-12120618.thumb.png.1f1011e1434b62b89945a056d09b674a.png

It really was a great effort by the team yet again and a well earned point against the team that is flying high in the league (and our rivals). We’re still unbeaten in the league since taking over and the table is really tight at the minute. The race is on!

The unbeaten run in the league has finally come to an end! We were playing against Goias who were surprising everyone with their performances so far this season but went 1-0 up. We were cruising along until 2 goals in 2 minutes from Pedro Raul doomed us to our first defeat in the league. Hopefully this doesn’t affect us too much and we can bounce back with a win.

Screenshot2023-09-12155503.thumb.png.c4117f52ffcd69e03f5b3bd648589111.png

However our next game wasn’t going to be easy. We were away (again!) to another of our rivals - This time against Corinthians. In all honesty, we played so bad. They dominated the match from start to finish and for the score to only finish as it did is a bonus. The less said about this match the better.

fm23_santos_match012.thumb.png.7640ba6f290ed1dbefed5cc7270f503a.png

We have to bounce back now from our two defeats quickly as we have the first leg of our Copa Sudamericana semi final tie against fellow league rivals, Red Bull Bragantino. With the first leg at home, we had to put out a statement and get something from the match.

We started the match so well with Ângelo scoring within the first 5 minutes. After that, we were actually the better side but we just couldn’t find the back of the net, again. They equalised just before half time and that changed everything. They started to find their way back into the match and despite us being the better team, they found a winner just before the end and went into the second leg with the advantage. I would have even taken a draw but it wasn’t to be. We now have an uphill battle in the next leg.

Screenshot2023-09-13151003.thumb.png.b695ef682f504e2684940d0ecd68b477.png

That brought August to what was a disastrous end. We ended up losing 3 games in a row and with no win in 4, morale was starting to get pretty low. September was also going to be a busy month so it could really go one way or the other. However, despite the bad end to the month, the table didn’t actually look too bad. We were still floating around the middle but we were starting to get some games in hand on those around us. With it being so tight, a couple of wins could fire us up the table so there is hope.

Screenshot2023-09-13151207.png.68a23d6cf85fd5f22800d60b6bb83a76.png

The month didn't really look that great at all. We made difficult work of all the Copa Sudamericana games and split the leagues games into 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw. The fact the draw came against São Paulo was a surprise but a nice surprise at that. From what I have seen, we aren't bad side and there are goals in this team - We're just a bit leaky in defence.

Screenshot2023-09-13151119.thumb.png.ade597dcfbda2eac47c4d948890655d9.png

As mentioned, September is going to be a incredibly busy month. We have the second leg of our Copa Sudamericana tie to play and lots of league games so hopefully we can push ourselves up the table. Most of our league games are against teams either around us or below us so we’re being optimistic that we can turn this around but it isn't going to be easy.

Screenshot2023-09-13151137.thumb.png.4bf0e329d23100dab7863a450e7740c9.png

September started off with a league match against América (MG) who were battling away in the relegation zone. It was a must win game in order to boost the morale of the squad after a poor run of results. We started the match off with a bang and found ourselves 2-0 up just after the 30 minute mark. We weren’t actually that much better than them but we took our chances and punished their mistakes. They pulled one back halfway through the second half but we restored our lead not long afterwards. They then scored with 2 minutes to go to give us a little fright but we managed to hold on for maximum points. Back to winning ways?

fm23_santos_match014.thumb.png.aa80cb4991eb6203349e290f0ca56a76.png

Next on the fixture list was our second leg match against Red Bull Bragantino and a chance to get to my first final. We had to start the game quickly just like the first leg but what actually happened was quite the opposite...

They scored a couple of early goals and went 4-1 up on aggregate with still and hour of the match to be played. The tie felt like it was well and truly over. We were being battered by them all over the pitch and couldn’t wait to get in for half time. After the break, we actually managed to pull one back thanks to Marcos Leonardo and then with 10 minutes to go, we equalised but we were still losing on aggregate. With 3 minutes to go, Marcos Leonardo had the ball in the back of the net and had got his hat trick but VAR ruled the goal out. We couldn’t find another.

fm23_santos_match015.thumb.png.487aa2a708001af6db08963b744293d4.png

Our cup run is over. We just have the league to focus on now as we’re out of all of the cups. We have a good run of fixtures with some winnable games to hopefully get this team back on track.

First up, we had a home match against Internacional who were sitting down just below us in the table. An excellent opportunity to create a gap between us and the teams below. We rotated a little due to fatigue but cruised to a 2-0 victory. Hopefully we can build on this.

fm23_santos_match016.thumb.png.65ce577b7862b365e5d0cc0440369082.png

That match was closely followed by an away trip to Juventude (a team I have actually managed on a previous version of Football Manager). We went 2-0 up early on and really didn’t look back. Marcos Leonardo scored a brace within the first 15 minutes - The second being his 30th goal of the season. Back to back wins and some momentum building.

fm23_santos_match017.thumb.png.5a237e35093faf9eca407c6006516c23.png

One of the tougher fixtures in this run of games was a home match against Fluminense. They were around us in the league table and a chance to get an advantage over them. However, it was another game where we started quickly and we were 1-0 up after just 5 minutes. We actually dominated a lot of the match and things were made easier for us when they went down to 10 men just after half time. They did pull one goal back but we eventually ran out 4-1 winners. Great result.

fm23_santos_match018.thumb.png.a3bbb3f6178851000bc5fc4ffef4352e.png

Fortaleza were up next and another team that were around us. This was a game where we didn't dominate but we took our chances and played really well defensively (for the first time in a long time). Two goals either side of half time allowed us to take control of the match and get a 3-0 win.

fm23_santos_match019.thumb.png.821ed77ffdad2c5914b0927824d65279.png

The goals are flowing and we really are starting to build some momentum. Marcos Leonardo has been scoring for fun at the minute and other players are starting to chip in with goal involvements as well. It feels like the team is starting to get to grips with the tactic.

There were two more matches left in September and there was the possibility of going the entire month unbeaten (ignoring the aggregate result). The first of those were against Atlético Mineiro - The current holders of the league title however this season, they didn't seem to be challenging and had fallen off a little. I say a little, they were still up there in 5th place...

We also had a mini injury crisis ongoing to a handful of our main starters. This, alongside some players suspended due to picking up multiple yellow cards, meant that we were having to play a really rotated squad.

fm23_santos_injuryproblems01.png.23c48c518aff0775ac24adaee67094de.png

The first half was all them and they managed to grab a goal just before half time. It had felt like it was coming and eventually, they broke through. However, in the second half, things changed. We came out fighting and started creating chances. We grabbed an equaliser 5 minutes into the second half and probably should have gone on to win the game. It wasn't to be and we came out with a draw. A good result on paper but probably a fair result given how the game swung in each half.

fm23_santos_match020.thumb.png.9c6d55da4fd7703b50b1fbb4453b77e1.png

The last game of the month came away to Coritiba. A tough fixture against a team who were just below us in the table. We were tired and we were injury hit but we had momentum. We started the game incredibly well and were 2-0 up at half time. Then it came. We collapsed in the second half and just couldn't keep up. We ended up losing the match 3-2 and our unbeaten run for September came to an end at the very last moment.

fm23_santos_match021.thumb.png.4cbdb5bf8e49b744a6ca6e39573536cd.png

We came so close to completing our first unbeaten month but it wasn't to be. However, the team responded brilliantly to the poor run of results that we got towards the end of August. This has meant we have propelled up the table and are now pushing for a Copa Libertadores place instead of battling against trying to survive in the league. We also have various games in hand over those around us so we have a great chance to push up the table even further.

fm23_santos_september22table.png.dbc18e0801211bada7435dc110531a1d.png

The results were much more positive this month and we seem to be scoring a lot of goals at the minute which is really helping our goal difference. We have performed better defensively too despite the number of injuries that we have suffered.

fm23_santos_september22results.thumb.png.3bc599dd8e3bd477a42f81e1bed3cb59.png

October is the last 'busy' month of the season. In November we have just two fixtures and then we finish our season in December with one remaining game so this will be the make or break month for us. We kick it off with the home tie against Palmeiras. They were the first opponent I faced when taking over at Santos and it was a thoroughly entertaining match - Snatching a last minute winner against one of our fiercest rivals. We also have the opportunity to get some revenge on Red Bull Bragantino (twice) after they knocked us out of the Copa Sudamericana (they actually lost in the final so that feels nice).

fm23_santos_october22fixtures.thumb.png.93da57d2931c3f6d518af8f324e57df1.png

I said Marcos Leonardo had been scoring for fun and at the end of September, he now currently sits as the league's top goalscorer. He is a couple of goals ahead and has a brilliant MINS/GL ratio - Not bad for a teenager. He is starting to attract interest from Manchester City and Liverpool (and rightly so) so it will be interesting to see what happens in January when the transfer window opens...

fm23_santos_marcosleonardotopscorerseptember22.thumb.png.a2ef24a53b05d7714d8e2eec39d45cad.png

October kicked off with our home match against our rivals, Palmeiras. We had beaten them back in July thanks to a last minute winner in what was a thriller (and my first game in charge). We were coming in off the back of a loss to end our unbeaten run and we had a lot of injuries to deal with.

It was 0-0 at half time but came out flying in the second half with Marcos Leonardo (again) putting us 1-0 up. However, that lead was short lived and they not only equalised but went 2-1 within 10 minutes of us scoring our goal. We had plenty of chances but we just couldn't find the back of the net again and we ended up losing 2-1. Not a great start to the month.

fm23_santos_match022.thumb.png.807450c8c7a1dde289cc4bd271dd818c.png

As well as suffering the loss, we also lost Marcos Leonardo as he got injured towards the end of the game. He is out for a couple of weeks which, in a packed month like October, means he will miss a good handful of games. I wasn't particularly keen on starting our back up striker, Bryan Angulo, as he hadn't been performing so I decided to promote two of the wonderkids we had in our u20s instead: 𝐃𝐞𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝 𝐖𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧 and 𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐂𝐞𝐳𝐚𝐫.

We had to bounce back and luckily we had a kind run of fixtures coming up. First up was Avai who were bottom of the league. As with a lot of games recently, we started the match really well and were 1-0 up within the first 10 minutes. Then, in the space of 5 minutes, Deivid Washington his first and second goals for Santos and were 3-0 at half time. We cruised to a comfortable win to get us back on track.

fm23_santos_match023.thumb.png.da394c293e773294a5f5310c24dcdff5.png

Deivid Washington's goals also broke a record that had been very briefly held by Ângelo - He became the youngest ever goalscorer for Santos beating Ângelo by just over 100 days.

fm23_santos_fm23_santos_washingtonrecordbreaker.thumb.png.f75ae59d64396a03527b269afed3eb0a.png

Following on from Avai, we had a game against Atlético Goianiense who were fighting against relegation. We started this match even better than the one before and were 2-0 after just 4 minutes - Deivid Washington scoring again and making it 3 goals in his first ever 2 starts for the club.

fm23_santos_match024.thumb.png.58b9f43cef4dec6a87838f9105056e36.png

With some good form behind us, Athlético Paranaense came to town. They were hovering around us in the table and it was a great opportunity to create a gap between us and the chasing pack behind us. Our left back, of all people, popped up with a goal just 2 minutes gone and put us in control. Just before half time, they went down to 10 men (ex Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho...) and we grabbed a second (Deivid Washington - Shock).

Just after half time though, we also went down to 10 men but that didn't seem to set us back too much as we grabbed a third goal not long after and ran out 3-0 winners. That was actually our first red card of the season.

fm23_santos_match025.thumb.png.76e2236fbb06d262bab53af05644515a.png

We had a tough match against Botafogo up next and it turns out to be an absolute classic. For the first 44 minutes, nothing really happened and then just before half time, we got a penalty and converted it. We scored again 15 minutes into the second half and then decided to give them a penalty but it was saved and pushed round the post. However, from the resulting corner, they smashed in a header and went on the attack.

They equalised not long after before Luan scored another stunning free kick to put us back in the lead. With 5 minutes to go, they equalised again and neither team could find the winner. We actually went down to 10 men in injury time but luckily, with it happening so late on in the game, it didn't affect anything too much. 2 red cards in 2 games though...

fm23_santos_match026.thumb.png.300cd19b90b036ed3260e5177d12f21f.png

A decent result against a team who were high up the table but considering we were ahead in the match not once, but twice (and one of those was a two goal lead), you can't help but be a little annoyed that we couldn't hand on for maximum points.

Following that thriller, we had another tough game against Flamengo - A team who were absolutely stacked with talent (albeit some of that talent was certainly ageing) and were challenging for the title. It wasn't going to be an easy game. They absolutely dominated the first half but we defended incredibly well and managed to get into the half level. We flew out the blocks in the second half and went 1-0 up. We were playing so much better.

However, the recent run of games, the injuries and suspensions were really starting to catch up with us and we were really hanging on at the end of the match. They did equalise but it was chalked off via VAR but they then found the breakthrough and equalised for real this time.

fm23_santos_match027.thumb.png.d6677c2c375620449639f7ac0fe6f76c.png

It was a kick in the teeth as we had played so well but in hindsight, it is a fantastic result against such a strong team. We have to play them again before the end of the season - at their place - and that is certainly not going to be an easy game.

• 3 weeks later...

After this game, The Copa Sudamericana had come to an end and Marcos Leonardo was named Best Player after getting 7 goals and 2 assists in 10 games.

fm23_santos_sudamericana22_bestplayer.thumb.png.7d63f6dd00a304a524d0879a95121c04.png

He also managed to come second in the Golden Boot race actually finishing level on goals with the winner but by having one less assist, it meant he came second overall.

fm23_santos_sudamericana22_goldenboot.thumb.png.5c40ad6833272bf38387a63883c7e61e.png

Finally, we had 5 players named in the Best XI for the competition (more than anyone else) which really showed how well we played (and what a missed opportunity this was as well)

fm23_santos_sudamericana22_bestxi.png.79d99cd361293ba68bddfb560a65b609.png

The last two games of the month were both against Red Bull Bragantino - Away to start with and then the following at home. It was a great opportunity to get revenge on them after they had knocked us out of the Copa Sudamericana plus they weren't too far behind us in the league so to drop points in both games against them would be a devastating blow.

We had started to get some players back from injuries and suspension but we weren't quite at 100%. We started the first half really well but without our clinical top goalscorer up top, we couldn't take our chances. In the second half, two incredibly quick goals put them 2-0 up and they stayed on the front foot for the remainder of the game. Another loss to Red Bull Bragantino with one more game to come...

fm23_santos_match028.thumb.png.2bd3b54401d926b6b5e8705ab04c41ad.png

The second match against them was the home tie and we really did now need to get a result against them as they were breathing down our neck. This game was the polar opposite to the game before and we were 2-0 up at half time this time around thanks to two goals from Deivid Washington yet again. We went down to 10 men very early on in the second half and it felt like it was about to collapse yet again but this time we managed to hang on and for a lot of the second half, looked the better team.

fm23_santos_match029.thumb.png.3188f7eafe0814da9bc56600af7e8152.png

Finally we managed to get a win over Red Bull Bragantino at the fourth time of asking - It was only a matter of time

That win secured us qualification for the Copa Sudamericana next season at the very least.

fm23_santos_copasudamericanaqual22.thumb.png.ebd420ba61b63afe14c5e58c5940a25c.png

We also managed to complete our club objective of 'remaining in the Brasileirão Assaí' and it's safe to say that this really pleased the supporters - Was it ever in doubt though?

fm23_santos_supporterexpectations01.thumb.png.4d2bcd0a5ab37a66d8fa085ea936f49e.png

That brought a busy October to an end and to be honest, we are very well positioned in the league table for the last 3 games of the season. We are currently in the Copa Libertadores places but Atlético Mineiro do have a game in hand over us whilst being only 2 points behind.

fm23_santos_october22table.png.7e9d093335be636682ea87b1ced7e494.png

We had some excellent results in the month and we played some brilliant football. I great point against Flamengo but disappointing to lose to our rivals at home. We were really thin on numbers at various points in the month and that really didn't help us. Younger players did step up at times but we really did miss that star quality.fm23_santos_october22results.thumb.png.02ae0e574d22061a3c6efb87c0fa6ca6.png

The last 3 games of the season are a bit odd - I guess because of the World Cup - but we have quite a lengthy break before our next match. Thankfully, between each match we have a full 7 days of recovery which is something we've not had too much of this season. Certainly two winnable games but the game against Flamengo is going to be very difficult.

fm23_santos_novemberdecember22fixtures.thumb.png.d7e46b6dc54ec5508d252bd8981f3f35.png